EHJ Black Bear Hunt

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I just got my EHJ (Oct/Nov 2020) and was reading Ben Fabre's story of his Wyoming bear hunt. He mentioned his guides name (Nate) and later his horses name (Griz) and that was familiar, so I looked at the end of the story and sure enough found the outfitter was Trophy Mountain Outfitters (TMO). I've used them several times and always had a good experience and was even 100% successful for elk or deer. On my last hunt in 2017 for elk, Nate wasn't my guide, but he was superb at his job and beyond helpful for everyone in camp. Now Griz gave me a different experience. Griz is around 1.700 lbs., and I had to climb up on a stump or trailer fender to get onboard. On the trail he tended to lag behind, and then would trot to catch up, damn near chipping my teeth when he did so.
Ben is 330 lbs. so a big horse was perfect for him, but I am average or as I prefer to call it "normal". Anyway, Griz had a good temperament and all of TMO's horses are pretty tolerant of us novice cowboys, so they did get us in and out safely. Good story Ben.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
They have a good name down there for sure. Did you knock down some decent animals?
No record book, but tagged two 4x4 deer and three 6x6 elk. I have posted them all on the forum at one point or another, and my avitar pic is with my biggest WY elk from 2013. That was a classic hunt, 3' of fresh snow, day 4, elk spotted from almost 4 miles away, long horse-back ride, long crawl up a snowy mountain, then a 60 yard shot. Classic. Here's a couple more of that bull.IMG_1303a.JPGIMG_1307.JPG

Montana

Veteran member
Nov 3, 2011
Bitterroot Valley, MT.
No record book, but tagged two 4x4 deer and three 6x6 elk. I have posted them all on the forum at one point or another, and my avitar pic is with my biggest WY elk from 2013. That was a classic hunt, 3' of fresh snow, day 4, elk spotted from almost 4 miles away, long horse-back ride, long crawl up a snowy mountain, then a 60 yard shot. Classic. Here's a couple more of that bull.View attachment 32397View attachment 32398
Man, that is awesome. Good for you. Great looking bull.

Reactions: RICMIC