EBHJ Anchor Point

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
I read Anchor Point in this month EBHJ and I'm glad to see Eastman's take a stand on crossbows. Ike says they will stick to the view that "a bow is a bow and a crossbow is something else".
I know this is a controversial subject but I agree 100%.
Thanks Eastman's!

Stay Sharp

Very Active Member
Oct 6, 2015
WI
Bowhunting is not for everybody. Not everybody can or is willing to rise to the challenges of bowhunting. For that sort there are non-bowhunting weapons that are stored energy, shoulder fired weapons with a stock, trigger guard and safety that can be shot from a bench rest. The users of such weapons are not bowhunters. They are not engaging in the sport of bowhunting.

I support that sort to do the style of hunting that they can muster but not everybody is willing or able to rise to the challenges of bowhunting. I really love bowhunting and I dont see me quitting bowhunting to take up a non-bowhunting sport such as crossbowing (of whatever that sort is calling what they do).

LCH

Very Active Member
Jun 28, 2015
Southern Indiana
I think the viewpoint is correct, but really what's the point? Is EBHJ likely to sway any opinions one way or another? Is Eastman's that influential? I mean really, I've been a member of this forum since 2015 and I really enjoy the atmosphere and conversation here, but I didn't even know what EBHJ was until I just googled it.

I guess I just don't know why Eastman's would want to wade into that argument.

CrimsonArrow

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
I’m happy to see this too. Crossbow hunting has its place, but it isn’t archery, and I respect eastmans for taking a stance on this subject.

Ike

Eastmans' Staff
Staff member
Feb 21, 2011
Thanks

I read Anchor Point in this month EBHJ and I'm glad to see Eastman's take a stand on crossbows. Ike says they will stick to the view that "a bow is a bow and a crossbow is something else".
I know this is a controversial subject but I agree 100%.
Thanks Eastman's!
Thanks for your feedback. Good luck this fall.

mntnguide

Very Active Member
I think the viewpoint is correct, but really what's the point? Is EBHJ likely to sway any opinions one way or another? Is Eastman's that influential? I mean really, I've been a member of this forum since 2015 and I really enjoy the atmosphere and conversation here, but I didn't even know what EBHJ was until I just googled it.

I guess I just don't know why Eastman's would want to wade into that argument.
Because in the state of Wyoming.. crossbows can be used during any archery season by anyone. And in recent years, that privilege has been getting more and more abused by people just to kill a big animal. Outfitters in top elk areas are having their commissioner tag holders etc, come during archery with a crossbow knowing they can kill big bulls. Many states only allow crossbows to those with disabilities or no longer can draw back a bow etc... which in my opinion is how it should be. Crossbows are not a bow and arrow that takes effort and energy to hold back.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

THelms

Administrator
Staff member
"Is Eastman's that influential?" I think that's a valid question and the answer to it is you bet your ass it is! IF!!! If, we are talking western bowhunting, then absolutely! EBJ is the only western bowhunting publication and as such has an enormous impact on the bowhunting industry through both companies and state game agencies.

It can be difficult to see this from a close proximity to the Mason Dixon or east of the Big Muddy. I grew up in Michigan and have family in Iowa and for all but those dialed into the western big game scene Eastmans' tends to be a tad obscure but it pays to remember or learn the history of the company & family.

Gordon Eastman (grandfather to Guy & Ike) was a pioneer in the wildlife filming industry, contracted by Disney to provide wildlife footage and the Canadian government to promote B.C. and the hunting opportunities it offered sportsmen. This was all in the middle part of the 20th Century but Gordon was a household name because of his work in wildlife cinematography. Then came Mike Eastman and his vision that produced Eastmans' Hunting Journals & Bowhunting Journals. A solid argument can be made that if not for Mike the world of western big game hunting would not be what it is today, as his pioneer spirit and grit opened paths that so many others have followed, including the bowhunting industry. Guy & Ike have grown Mike's company into a highly influential entity that places the highest emphasis on Fair Chase and Integrity in hunting.

I was a fan of Eastmans' when I was a kid, growing up watching Gordon's videos and Mike on TV and video. I read as many of Mike's books as I could get my grubby northwoods hands on and began subscribing to the Journals in my twenties. All that time I lived and hunted in Michigan, far from the open plains and towering mountains of the West but EBJ lit a fire to bow hunt elk in me and was a major influence in my moving to Wyoming a decade ago. Since then I've been blessed to become a part of the company I've admired for so many years and have seen just how influential Eastmans' truly is.

As for "wading into that argument" I agree, there are some hills that aren't worth dying on but the crossbow argument is one that begs discussion for the simple reason that western states need to decide where to draw the line on what is a legal weapon for archery only seasons & tags... should a shoulder fired weapon that takes little skill to master and can be shot accurately out to 100 yards be considered a legal weapon for these seasons & tags which most of the time occur when big game animals are at a highly vulnerable state (the rut or on summer range)?

If Eastmans' and for that matter it's competitors, and fellow hunters don't ask these questions or open these topics for discussion then who will? I for one would rather we have these conversations as hunters and come up with our own solutions to propose to state agencies than have statutes rammed down my throat without the process of civil discourse to guide policy and law making efforts.

This is one of the reasons I love this forum, same as you LCH, because of the discussion here. Let's keep it rolling as I believe discussion is a key component to understanding and growth.

Last edited:

KHSRanger23

Apr 14, 2016
Utah
Lots of good comments and thought on a topic that is only going to grow in discussion and debate with time. For me I agree with what has been said by some all ready, I think that being able to use a crossbow while hunting in a western state during a archery hunt is a huge advantage. I think that those being able to use a crossbow during an archery hunt should be regulated to those that have a permanent disability which prevents them from hunting with a bow. I even like the idea of letting youth hunters use a crossbow during an archery hunt, as I think it important to attract youth hunters to our sport and our outdoor way of live. When they turn 18 or whatever age makes them not eligible for youth tags they can transition to a bow. I do like healthy discussion on these issues as there are definitely many perspectives and outlooks. I would make the suggestion to any outdoors man/woman concerned about this topic or others make sure to participate in your state wildlife boards meetings and share your thoughts. The decision might not always go your way(like magnified scopes on muzzle loaders :p), but at least make your voice known.

WapitiBob

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
Bend, Orygun
The fact is, one western state allows crossbows (Wyoming), has for 40 years, and up to this point they haven't made a measurable difference. When they start making a difference in harvest, in a western state, I'll worry about them.

Last edited:

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
The fact is, one western state allows crossbows (Wyoming), has for 40 years, and up to this point they haven't made a measurable difference. When they start making a difference in harvest, in a western state, I'll worry about them.
The reality is non of us know the impact because Wyoming just recently started looking into the number of crossbow hunters and their success rates. There is no reliable data to use from the past. I personally have mixed emotions as crossbows do get some people in the field who wouldn't otherwise be able to do so. I do see them as having a major advantage over bows and think they should be regulated to some degree.

WapitiBob

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
Bend, Orygun
I had the same opinion for most of my life, then I spent a little time talking to a crossbow hunter in the Wyoming elk woods. I changed my opinion and to me they’re a non issue.