eberlestock team elk pack

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
have been looking online at these packs. only asking $329. anyone have one and willing to share opinions on them?

they look to be pretty versatile for different type hunts.
but am mainly thinking of 3-4 day trips.

also looking at XO and stone glacier which are considerably more $$. probaby twice the cost. wondering about quality comparison?? comfort ?how folks think they handle when hauling meat??

so far, I am leaning towards the XO 3500 or 5500. any thoughts would be appreciated.

XO and EBERLESTOCK are only 40 miles or so away ,so I will have to visit both.

Last edited:

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
I have one as a spare pack. I really don't actually like it for much more than day trips fishing. If you can afford something a little better, a lot better is what you'll get.

Mule3006Elk

Jul 3, 2013
I have an Eberlestock, not the Team Elk version, and I don't care for it. I will use it for camping and hikes.
Works great for that. However, with heavy loads, I give it strong thumbs down. Doesn't carry weight well at all.
No load lifters. I would put your money elsewhere. I switched to Kifaru, which is night and day compared to Eberlestock, has load lifters, and carries weight extremely well. I don't know anything about the SG or XO. If they don't have great load lifters I would look at other packs. IMHO.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
went and tried on the XO 3500 PACK TODAY.
absolutely loved it. did not buy it just yet but I am going to!!!!!!!!!!!

I also tried on the eberlestock just one and the team elk.

not to knock either , I personally didn't much care for them. while they do have lots of pockets(inside and out) and load lifters and lots of options for varying types of hunts, they just did not fit my body type well. they seem to be made for a shorter torso then my(21 inch).

they also seemed much heavier then the X0 when empty. also I preferred the frame setup of the XO for hauling meat.

I believe the eberlestock to be a good solid pack and to be completely fair to them also about half the price at $329 compared to about $600 for the XO 3500 (plus roughly another $100 for a couple extras the eberls already had(gun holder /crib sheath for meat packing without 3500 bag on frame).
so I will end up spending about $700ish when said and done for the XO.

all that said , I believe, the difference in the comfort of the two , justifies the added cost. JMHO!
XO gear will be at the salt lake expo this weekend , anyone looking for a new pack , I would urge you to check them out.

DaveZ

Dec 16, 2011
Cedarburg, WI
I have the Eberlestock RMEF pack. Won it at a RMEF auction for $200. Couldn't pass it up. Used it this last year on an elk hunt and it did not do well hauling meat. Only place you can put meat and have it secured and close to your back is in the pack. Now if you have nothing else that you need to carry in your pack, you can cinch the meat to the outside but still it wants to tip you over backwards. As a day pack, it is great.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I have the Eberlestock RMEF pack. Won it at a RMEF auction for $200. Couldn't pass it up. Used it this last year on an elk hunt and it did not do well hauling meat. Only place you can put meat and have it secured and close to your back is in the pack. Now if you have nothing else that you need to carry in your pack, you can cinch the meat to the outside but still it wants to tip you over backwards. As a day pack, it is great.
that was my take on them. great packs but NOT great meat haulers

Mule3006Elk

Jul 3, 2013
The packs are bomb proof. I'll given them credit where credit is due. My pack, besides being old and dirty, is in great condition. Seams and stitching are solid. They just don't carry weight well!