Eberlestock Just One J34 reviews?

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
I'm looking at getting one of these to haul 30-40lb loads in on backpack hunts, and hopefully much heavier loads coming out. I was wondering if anyone was using one, and if so how you like it?

Thanks!

YellowDog

Feb 23, 2011
Parker Colorado
I bought one last year and used it for archery elk. During the summer I was using it to train by walking a moderate trail that was 7 miles long. I was able to carry just over 65lbs of sand which made the pack a little north of 70lbs. I found it to be a great pack! I end up using the scabbard as a place to haul my Nikon 50 fieldscope attached to the tripod. It works pretty slick. It is very quiet and once cinched down it rides well.

Two things I'm not thrilled about: #1 the waist belt that comes with this pack doesn't go around my waist like I would like it to. I have a 36" waist and the belt barely comes across my hips. It works, but I would like to have another couple of inches to come around. And #2 I have problems with my gear falling to the bottom of the pack after awhile. With the large deep pockets that run the length of the pack it's hard to keep things up towards the middle of your back.

Hope that helps.

Feb 21, 2011
Edmonton AB.
I looked at the 'Just One' when I bought my 'Dragonfly'. They are basically the same bag but the 'Dragonfly' has a beefier frame and waist belt. I went with the 'Dragonfly' because of the stronger frame and it has paid off big time as far as a load hauling bag goes.

Firearrow

Mar 1, 2011
CA
Love the design or the pockets, but the damn thing weighs almost 9 lbs by it self, and the load gets distrubuted away from your back as you expand it, instead of going up to your shoulders. Look at the Badlands 4500, or Sitka Bivy 45. Either way good stuff all around. If it is your first time on a backpack style hunt, word of advice. Only bring what you need to survive semi comfortably. You will be surprised how the weight will go from 40 to 50 lbs real quick. Good luck.

twp1224

Mar 6, 2011
Central Coast
J34

Bought one last year and absolutely love the pack. Its very well designed. I hauled 30lbs of gear including my bow strap on the back and it felt good after 8 miles and 3,000’ in elevation one way. I was hoping to haul out a lot more weight, but that’s how it goes sometimes. The pack empty weighs 6lbs 14oz, which is heavy compared to some of the new ultra light packs coming out, but it is built for being rugged and quiet. For the price and functionality I think it is a great pack. Eberlestock has put a lot of thought into designing their packs and it shows.

elktracker

Feb 24, 2011
Jackson, WY
Just bought a J34 last week, got it for $239 here in town, which is a lot cheaper than I could find anywhere on the internet. I also got the zip-in panel to hold my gear in the meat compartment. Took it out on Sunday for a 4 mile hike and did some steep hills with 37 lbs counting my rifle. I thought the pack was really comfortable, when I first put it on I was concerned about the weight being too far back and shifting around as I walked, but once I got it adjusted and cinched all the straps down tight I didn't have any problems. It is a heavy pack but I usually pack a daypack inside of my big backpacking pack so this isn't any heavier than carrying 2 packs. I plan on doing a lot more day hikes with it, some with heavier loads to really get a feel for it and to get some exercise.

twp1224

Mar 6, 2011
Central Coast
I really like the mesh compartment for hauling meat. I have never used any other brand hunting pack, but they don’t seem to have a good way to carry meat in the August heat (CA archery season) allowing the meat to stay somewhat cool. I have read that Badlands has a meat shelf that folds out for hauling meat, but have never seen it in action. The J34 just seems to have all the right items for back pack hunting, but I’m bias as well.