Eberlestock Blue Widow

dcannon

Feb 22, 2011
Pinedale, WY
Has anyone used the Blue Widow pack? How does it carry a load compared to the Mystery Ranch packs? I have been thinking about adding one to my pack collection, and am wondering about how it carries. I like the idea of the ability to add or remove the scabbard. I have a Mystery Ranch NICE frame pack that I love, but I like the versatility of the Blue Widow in design.

Attachments

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2011
Colorado
I purchased and used one last year and I love it. In my opinion this pack is the best I have had. It can be any pack you need for size. I have had a Blacks Creek pack and a Badlands 4500 before settling on this pack. Their customer service has been top notch and the packs are made here in the USA which is always a bonus for me. I believe my pack weighed about 45-55lbs last year and I thought it packed and rode awesome. I don't think you would be disappointed.

Archer32

Feb 22, 2011
SoDak

I've got some really good use out of mine. I think its a much better pack without the built in scabbard as you don't have the sag like some mention. I had a BL 4500 and broke just about every damn zipper on it, and the layout just didn't work for me. Broke the belt too and it squeaked something aweful. This pack is stealth, super comfy, and multifunctional (day pack or two week backcountry). I love the fact I can drop off camp in the spike camp duffel and role out with a lot lighter pack. I'm at the point now were I feel really dialed in with this pack and won't be changing anytime soon. Its carries awesome under heavy load as well. I've put many 100+lb trips on it and it hasn't given me any fuss.

grok34

Feb 21, 2011
Nice pics. I just tried this pack on today but still can't decide between it and the blacks creek canadian. I have been using the badlands and have had same problems with zippers noise etc. Where you from in SD? I grew up in Beresford moved to Idaho in 03

Attachments

HUNT4U

Feb 24, 2011
SWEET HOME, OREGON
I just purchased one. Seems to be well built and fits good. I got it and the add on scabbard and the spike duffel so that i can use it for everything. My buddy and my brother in law both have the j107's and love them, but i wanted the ability to remove the scabbard for archery and save weight on shorter day rifle hunts. Just drew my ne oregon spring bear tag, so hopefully i'll be able to test it thoroughly!

Attachments

Archer32

Feb 22, 2011
SoDak
Nice pics. I just tried this pack on today but still can't decide between it and the blacks creek canadian. I have been using the badlands and have had same problems with zippers noise etc. Where you from in SD? I grew up in Beresford moved to Idaho in 03
Living the dream in Sioux Falls, not too far from where you grew up... Been here since June. It's been tough to find places to hunt around here. Just got my archery turkey tag in the mail and I'm scratching my head... Seems like little to no public land around to hunt. Its quite the difference from the 27million acres I have access to in Montana.

Archer32

Feb 22, 2011
SoDak
Make sure to get the torso length adjusted to fit you as that makes a huge difference. Glenn (the maker) gave me a good tip at a trade show and he says to secure the bottom horizontal buckle before dropping down the meat/quarter into the bag and that'll help keep the meat riding higher in the pack and relieve more pressure of your tailbone/butt. It just generall carries better this way. I've tried this and it works.

HUNT4U

Feb 24, 2011
SWEET HOME, OREGON
Hey Arrowslinger, my tag is for the Chesnimnus/Sled Springs unit. Last year we were able to tag a nice cinamon/chocolate around 200 pounds. Got 3 tags this year so hoping for good luck.

BEETLEGUY

Mar 1, 2011
California
Was thinking of getting this pack. Going to use it for short trips and long trips as well. Do you think this pack will do all that? Two packs are not an option for me right now.

cmbbulldog

Jul 18, 2011
Was thinking of getting this pack. Going to use it for short trips and long trips as well. Do you think this pack will do all that? Two packs are not an option for me right now.
Same sort of question. Would this pack be big enough for a 10 day backpack hunt for elk?

worx53

blue widow pack

the Blue widow is an awesome pack. The most comfortable load carrier i've tried and its been a bunch. I also used it as a day pack for my elkhunt last year as i was conserving gear and only used one pack. I packed all my gear in it for a 10 day hunt easily(mre's, clothes, isobutane, knife, gps, compass,lights, stove, etc.) As a day pack you really don't notice the little added weight once the bulls are screaming. I normally use a sitka day pack. P9020028.jpgP9030037.jpg It also saved a long hike back to spike camp to get a meat hauler. I used it with the zip-on added storage and its absolutely awesome. i will never own a badlands again, i've have had 3 and all broke zippers and left me with trouble in the backcountry.( good warranty but i'm done with them)