www.eastmans.com
Last edited:
Reactions: Ikeepitcold

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Bumping this one up again, making sure everyone saw it. Maybe need to add a meme or two to get the conversation rolling...

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
I'm pretty much set on switching to BaseMap this year. I don't love everything about it, but I love the important things. I hunt primarily in CO but roam extensively the states around hiking and camping, so it's great having a low price for all 50 states. The download options are still easier/nicer than OnX, and the satellite zoom-ins seem higher detail than anything else out there. The user interface is a little weird but it's fine once you get used to it.

About the only thing I don't love is the route tracking. None of these apps come anywhere close to what a good hiking/cycling-specific app does. I use Locus Pro for recording routes, export the KML+photos directly to my Dropbox from it, and it's easy to pull onto my computer when I want to research the next season. I just upgraded to a new phone and the export said I had 132 tracks in 3 years! I track everything with it, even just a local 2-3 mile hike for exercise.

ScottR

Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
I'm pretty much set on switching to BaseMap this year. I don't love everything about it, but I love the important things. I hunt primarily in CO but roam extensively the states around hiking and camping, so it's great having a low price for all 50 states. The download options are still easier/nicer than OnX, and the satellite zoom-ins seem higher detail than anything else out there. The user interface is a little weird but it's fine once you get used to it.

About the only thing I don't love is the route tracking. None of these apps come anywhere close to what a good hiking/cycling-specific app does. I use Locus Pro for recording routes, export the KML+photos directly to my Dropbox from it, and it's easy to pull onto my computer when I want to research the next season. I just upgraded to a new phone and the export said I had 132 tracks in 3 years! I track everything with it, even just a local 2-3 mile hike for exercise.
Have you run the update for 4.0? The UI got some updates.

Horniac

Jul 14, 2011
NorCal
Thanks for posting about the new Eastman’s layer. I have the Pro membership and have used Basemap quite a bit.

I checked out the video and was thinking of adding but noticed for the three states currently available (AZ, UT, WY) the draw deadlines for the species included therein have already passed. I would assume the state/species layers would be added as the MRS data is rolled out in each issue but for example there is no layer for NM and that draw deadline is rapidly approaching.

As an Eastmans‘ subscriber the price point of $9.99/year seems high to me (33% of the annual Basemap membership of $29.99) since I already have access to the same information/maps via the print/digital issues of the magazine. Maybe the value would be there for Basemap users who don’t get the MRS?

Anyhow, just my honest feedback as a someone who usually subscribes to all western hunting research products (i.e. Epic, Huntin’ Fool, Toprut, GoHunt, OnX, Gaia, Hunters Trailhead, B&C, etc.) to get the conversation started on the this topic...

Horniac

ScottR

Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Thanks for posting about the new Eastman’s layer. I have the Pro membership and have used Basemap quite a bit.

I checked out the video and was thinking of adding but noticed for the three states currently available (AZ, UT, WY) the draw deadlines for the species included therein have already passed. I would assume the state/species layers would be added as the MRS data is rolled out in each issue but for example there is no layer for NM and that draw deadline is rapidly approaching.

As an Eastmans‘ subscriber the price point of $9.99/year seems high to me (33% of the annual Basemap membership of $29.99) since I already have access to the same information/maps via the print/digital issues of the magazine. Maybe the value would be there for Basemap users who don’t get the MRS?

Anyhow, just my honest feedback as a someone who usually subscribes to all western hunting research products (i.e. Epic, Huntin’ Fool, Toprut, GoHunt, OnX, Gaia, Hunters Trailhead, B&C, etc.) to get the conversation started on the this topic...

Horniac
Have you signed up for TagHub yet?

Redbowman

Jan 18, 2016
I also am considering TagHub, but as a long time subscriber I hate to see page after page dedicated to promoting it. It takes away from the great articles, example Aug/Sept Hunting Edition.

Reactions: Bonecollector