Eastmans E News

Jerry

Feb 21, 2011
Joseph Or
Just read the latest E news with the article written by Guy about Michael Deming's blog "Where have all the good tags gone". I don't know what everybody else thinks but I couldn't agree more with Mr. Deming's opinion of premium tags going only to those with extremely deep pockets. The price that these auction tags has gotten to the point of being absurd!
I've been saying this for years and it's not just at the level Mr. Deming is talking about. Even at the local level with the various fund raisers by hunting groups, it seems to me that year in and year out the same folks with deep pockets "win" the vast majority of guns and hunts.
Whats your opinion!

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I agree with you. The most I could agree to for special non draw tags would be one for each species for auction....no more. With all the $$$ generated to be used for habitat enhancement or something sililiar.

nwwa huner

Jun 29, 2011
I'm not 100% in favor or 100% opposed. BUT when the money goes to habitat and the animal these "rich people" are supplementing our hunting. The average hunter only complains with thier mouth but not at all with there pen(writing letters to our elected officials) or there check books.

ando_31

Sep 14, 2012
ND
We all supplement our own hunting buy paying taxes, paying for tags, and donating. The amount these people pay for tags is minimal compared to all the money added up by the average joe. On the other hand, money talks and the rich have more land, hunting toys, and licenses than us regular joes. This will never change. I'm just happy to still have some public land to hunt on where no one can kick me off or tell me how to hunt. I'll be damned if I will ever pay to hunt for a guided service or pay more than the normal license fee for the right to hunt. But that is a personal choice and I won't give another person grief if they want to dish out substantial amounts of money to hunt. In my mind, it is gratifying to know I've taken a trophy animal that absolutely everyone else has an equal chance at from getting a license to having access to the land.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
As long as the money goes back into conservation of that animal I'm ok with it. Nv does this with the chance to get a awesome tag for very affordable "buy in" tickets. $5-10 a ticket not sure wich one but most people can afford that.

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
As long as the money goes back into conservation of that animal I'm ok with it. Nv does this with the chance to get a awesome tag for very affordable "buy in" tickets. $5-10 a ticket not sure wich one but most people can afford that.
A lottery type ticket is one thing, but when you start pulling out all of the best tags, and selling them to the highest bidder... I have a problem with that.

Montana

Veteran member
Nov 3, 2011
Bitterroot Valley, MT.
I think one thing to keep in mind is that before these deep pockets were available... well there was nothing like it. The states figured they could raise big money for these govenors tags so it was created. It was never available to me before and still is not. I'm ok with that as long as it goes back to conservation or a way to keep my costs down.

Guy

Eastmans' Staff
Staff member
Feb 21, 2011
Thank you for the feedback fellas. I think these tags were a good idea when they were first devised but as with anything political as time has passed they have become a bit out of control. In my personal opinion there should be one single tag for each specie for each state per year given outside the draw. On odd years these tags would be raffled off and on even years they would be auctioned off. Not 365 day seasons either. You hunt with everyone else in any open area. And as part of the deal every single cent that is raised must be accounted for, where it went, who it went to and when it was used. And that information should be posted to the State Game and Fish website before the tag for the next year is issued. No info, no tag the next year. No exceptions. This is a public resource you are auctioning off and if you bought 100,000,000 ballpoint pens with the money it should be public record. These tags would only go to organizations that have a clean record and put the most money back into the resource. And these tags must stay with organizations/functions inside that particular state.

I am pretty confident this would be a fair compromise that everyone could live with. Just my two cents. Thanks for listening.

G-

packmule

Veteran member
Jun 21, 2011
TX
There's really no reason for those tags to go to conservation groups when the admin expenses could help cover salaries of fish & game employees. The Expo would still make money w/o the tags.

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
In my personal opinion there should be one single tag for each specie for each state per year given outside the draw. On odd years these tags would be raffled off and on even years they would be auctioned off. Not 365 day seasons either. You hunt with everyone else in any open area.
I find that to be an incredibly fair proposition. On the years that the tag gets auctioned, those with infinitely deep pockets can bid the price up to $10m, if they wanted.

packmule

Veteran member
Jun 21, 2011
TX
It won't happen that way. Part of the fiscal cliff mess included a cap set on charitable contributions.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Guy has some real good points.

One thing we really have to be vigilant about is how this money is used as he points out. Many, many years ago California started using stamps on their licenses. First it was trout, then stripers, upland game, ocean enhancement and so on. The money was supposed to be used to benefit the particular thing the stamp was bought for. First was the trout stamp which was to benefit the hatchery network. The trout fisherman would pay for THEIR fishery. Well a few years ago an indepth audit was done and it was found that the $$$ was mostly going into the California General Fund. Seems the legislature couldn't keep their hands off of it. (Sounds like Social Security right!)

We have to really what these politicians are doing.

Drhorsepower

Veteran member
May 19, 2011
Reno, Nevada, United States
Guy has some real good points.

One thing we really have to be vigilant about is how this money is used as he points out. Many, many years ago California started using stamps on their licenses. First it was trout, then stripers, upland game, ocean enhancement and so on. The money was supposed to be used to benefit the particular thing the stamp was bought for. First was the trout stamp which was to benefit the hatchery network. The trout fisherman would pay for THEIR fishery. Well a few years ago an indepth audit was done and it was found that the $$$ was mostly going into the California General Fund. Seems the legislature couldn't keep their hands off of it. (Sounds like Social Security right!)

We have to really what these politicians are doing.
Look at how the California lotto started and where the money goes now!

Look at how many tags Nevada gives away also. I literally lost track of all of the raffles and special tags. Becoming a rich mans sport

nwwa huner

Jun 29, 2011
This is a public resource you are auctioning off and if you bought 100,000,000 ballpoint pens with the money it should be public record.

If these are public resources then why can't non residents hunt NATIONAL forest wilderness areas without a guide in Wyoming. There's another double standard that benefits one not the other.

shootbrownelk

Veteran member
Apr 11, 2011
Wyoming
This is a public resource you are auctioning off and if you bought 100,000,000 ballpoint pens with the money it should be public record.

If these are public resources then why can't non residents hunt NATIONAL forest wilderness areas without a guide in Wyoming. There's another double standard that benefits one not the other.
That was done by an AG (ranching) controlled legislature, lobbied by Ranchers & Outfitters. Anyone can fish, hike, birdwatch or play pocket-pool in the wilderness...you just can't hunt in it! I agree...it sucks!

shootbrownelk

Veteran member
Apr 11, 2011
Wyoming
Good ideas Guy, did you forget about the (Wyoming) Senators, Congress rep. G&F commisioners tags? Most of those were any area tags too....limited quota/hard to draw tags.

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
What's next, a poor man drawing a great tag and selling it for $200k? I mean why not right?