Eastmans' and Photography!

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Thanks for the great response on this section of the forum guys, this is going very well!

Scott,
I know that several guys on the forum are photographers and are always looking for ways to improve. Would you ask the Eastman's;

1.) do they recommend any specific equipment, tripods, lenses, or camera bodies? ( I personally can't afford the big Prime lenses, so I went with a 100-400 EF 4.5-5.6, on a Canon 70D body)

2.) Do they do much off-season camera hunting in the areas they mean to hunt, or does that disturb the hunting country too much?

I know Mike is an exceptional photographer, are the rest of the family too?

Please thank them for me, they produce what I believe is the only really good hunting show on T.V. that recognizes "Fair Chase".

Bob

From Mike:

1.) I have several Canon 70D for wildlife and use a 70-200 2.8/f and the 100-400 EF 4.5/5.6 and a 5D mark III for landscapes along with a 17-35 2.8/f and a 35-105 4/f for setups and scenic. Its important to have a good tripod and head. I saved up and purchased "The Right Stuff" tripod and #55 head. It has worked well for me in some of the worst conditions all over the world. My suggestion is to purchase the best equipment you can afford and learn how to use it. Most people think that top of the line equipment means great photos but that's not the way it works. Learn animal behavior and also camera technique to get money shoots. You can find great blogs on outdoor photography and filming techniques online.

2.) I do some off-season camera hunting but more than that I don't go anywhere, even down to get the mail, with out my camera gear. In April of 2011 I was coming back from getting the mail down at the main highway. Suddenly in an opening I see a fox hunting mice under the spring snow. That photo won the 2012 National Geographic International Wildlife Award, so it pays to have your camera gear handy.

I'm probably the only one in the family who has the interest to spend a lot of time out just filming all year around. My father Gordon Eastman handed me a still camera with a 500 mm lens and told me to wander around Jackson Hole where I grew up taking photos of big game. 50 years later I still have a passion for finding that money shoot.

Mike

Thanks for the question Bob, and thanks for answering Mike!

What camera equipment, and techniques do you use?

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
I saw that photo, I believe...a red fox diving on a mouse under the snow. Great photo!! Thanks for the reply.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
I don't have an answer for that question, but I can see if Jon, one of our photographers can answer that question.

AT Hiker

Very Active Member
Aug 2, 2012
Tennessee
I cannot speak for them, but when we visit Yellowstone those photographers have a lense that could count the rocks on the moon. They turn out some good wolf pics, they are easily 500 plus yards away...sometimes a lot further.

packmule

Veteran member
Jun 21, 2011
TX
That's where those 5 digit lenses come into play and remotes. Or can drop to a slightly smaller faster lens.

AT Hiker

Very Active Member
Aug 2, 2012
Tennessee
That's where those 5 digit lenses come into play and remotes. Or can drop to a slightly smaller faster lens.
Like the cannon EF 800mm, list for $14k. I have seen a few of them being used at Yellowstone, someone told me you can rent them too.

packmule

Veteran member
Jun 21, 2011
TX
You can rent them, but looking at roughly $100/day. A lot of my buddies use the 400 f/2.8L & 500 f/4L on their ranches to document their deer.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
You guys are getting me interested in breaking out my old 35 mm SLR. I have a Konica with a bunch of lenses that I havn't used for a long time. I takes wonderful pictures, even tho it is a bit heavy and cumbersome. I still use my Cannon underwater camera in 35mm and take the film to WalMart for developing, they put it on a disc too. I might do the same with the SLR to take landscape and travel pix, but not hunting...too heavy!

muskiemauler22

Feb 23, 2011
Mobridge, sd
Thats why I was wondering. In my opinion a guy taking a close up picture of an elk at 50 yards has more skill than someone who just has the money to afford the high buck full frame cameras and 10 grand plus lenses. The biggest lens I use is a 300mm, which is all i can afford, but i know some people use 1.4x magnifications which helps the focal length, but the quality drops.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Mt biggest lense is a 125x250 zoom and I use a 2x magnifier on it so I get a 500. You really have to be careful as the converter really steps down the light. But I have taken some great waterfowl and landscape picts with it.

muskiemauler22

Feb 23, 2011
Mobridge, sd
Does it look just as good at 300 as 55? Im in the predicament of needing a new video camera or buying a better dslr...but the quality of the video is what i'm worried about with any larger focal lengths when it comes to dslr's.

woodtick

Veteran member
Feb 24, 2011
Jim Bridger County, Utah
@ 300mm you have to put it in manual mode(I never use auto anyway) and really play with the settings. I wish I had an example to share but I don't. These are the best I could come up with.

Taken at about 150 yards-Manual mode-140mm with 1.4x teleconverter f/5 1/1000s ISO 250
[URL=http://s1337.photobucket.com/user/bigwoodtick/media/DSC_0203_zps91dd27fe.jpg.html][/URL]

Taken at about 475 yards-Manual Mode-300mm with 1.4x teleconverter f/5.6 1/640s ISO 110
[URL=http://s1337.photobucket.com/user/bigwoodtick/media/DSC_0172_zps3941b228.jpg.html][/URL]

muskiemauler22

Feb 23, 2011
Mobridge, sd
I assume you have a full frame camera, not just an uncropped image right? Do you play with the ISO or just the shutter speed and aperture? Does the video look as good as the stills at those distances?