Early season low altitude hunt

GOSHENGRUNTER

Jan 8, 2014
Clermont County Ohio
Seems almost like an oxymoron to ask...but anyone have a suggestion on an early season archery hunt at lower altitudes? I have a medical condition that's really been hampering me the last couple seasons once I get about about 7000 feet. No matter what I do, I cant get acclimated.

That said, I'm itching for a backcountry pack in early season hunt again. Don't really care what state and not looking for a booner. Any suggestions?

Thanks!!

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Back country pack in just don't go with 7,000' and below very well.

For a earlier hunt Utah has a few areas that are below 7k with quite a few deer. The Southwest Desert unit is one. Most of it is below 7k with a few peaks higher. Quite a few deer hang out down low in the cedars and pinons. I'm not sure on the non resident deer draw but it might be doable. Another unit would be the LaSals along the Colorado River on the north part of the unit. Neither of these would be a pack in hunt but they are low.

Colorado had the eastern plains but again no pack in unless you just want to walk along the road for a ways.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
Eastern Montana is the best thing that came to my mind.
I think Dirtclod AZ has a great idea though!

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I guess that a early archery hunt for coues would fit since it is in January and you can't get much earlier than that.

gonhunting247

Veteran member
Jan 21, 2014
I know it's not the first place than comes to mind when you're talking mule deer, but OR is mostly otc and starts the end of August. It has a lot of units that aren't high in elevation.