E-Bikes For Hunting?

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I am anti-e-bike for off OHV travel and where regular bicycles are currently allowed. IMHO It creates an easy out for lazy people to access the back country.

Having said that, I would consider using on for archery hunting in GA on my lease (Private property) if I could find one that didnt cost thousands of $'s. Its so hot down here in September that you are drenched in sweat by the time you get to your stand. One of these might help bridge that gap.

I am NOT opposed to people using them on roads meant for vehicles and open OHV trails (Not so sure who would even bother to try it with the condition most of these are in).

I want one that runs on dewalt lithium rechargeable drill batteries and lasts 1 hour.....that costs less than $500 :)

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I have similiar views. Around here we see increased use on trails meant for bicycles and the Forest Service is having problems coming up with a policy for their use in the NF. Use them where you use ohv's and on roads , no problem, but that's it as far as I'm concerned.

Reactions: Winchester

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
ebikes are considered motorized and in region 1 of the forest service they are treated as a motorcycles. I saw you article in taghub and you are giving false information, saying that ebikes are treated as bicycles.
like all tools they have there time and place.

Reactions: go_deep

ore hunter

Very Active Member
Jul 25, 2014
personally im pro-e bike,,,can use behind gates on blm,,but still cant use on most nat forest except on orv trails.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
I swore to myself if I drew a Ca X zone tag I was buying a E bike. I drew it this year but now I’m more leaning towards my regular mountain bike.
I do really like the thought of the Ebike With getting further with less effort but I think my thoughts of the extra money spent on the bike I can use for some other things now.

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
I regularly use a bike on logging roads and other places where allowed, and don't see why an e-bike is that different. But maybe it's because I only use it while scouting and exploring? While hunting it always seemed like a liability to me. They aren't completely silent, and let's face it, you're not packing out a 90lb quarter while riding a bike. I always figured it would just mean one extra trip "back in" to retrieve it. But maybe that's just my hunting style.

I hunt a lot of wilderness areas where even non-e-bikes aren't allowed, so that cuts the usefulness in half. Maybe that's part of it.

Reactions: Colorado Cowboy

Travis Horner

Feb 28, 2020
Powell, WY
I think the common idea is that since this thing has a motor, one is going to be pinchen that throttle the entire time, so it makes it sound like your not going to be doing any work. On the contrary the weight of this thing is double the standard bicycle, plus your trailer and gear. In most cases your going to be doing more work with an e-bike and saving that battery life to make those mountain side inclines...I think its one of those things that people don't quite understand yet. Would I use one, nope, just ask the guys at the office, I don't ride bike. ;)

Reactions: Colorado Cowboy

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
taskswap

don't take this wrong, but i have had 2 quarters off of an elk in my trailer behind my bicycle countless times. so yes, you will be able to pack quarters out. yes you are correct wilderness areas are off limits to bicycles.

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
The best way to hunt off of a bike it to be a bike rider. Than it just comes naturally. So for me it is not a big deal. but i ride bikes year round.

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
Nothing to take the wrong way, Tim. But the areas I hunt, the bike you could get in... (if it was allowed) but you'd never get a trailer in there on the back of it. I had this vision of 95lbs of meat in my meat-carrier-pack and trying to get on a bike... That's a movie I'd like to see :)

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Nothing to take the wrong way, Tim. But the areas I hunt, the bike you could get in... (if it was allowed) but you'd never get a trailer in there on the back of it. I had this vision of 95lbs of meat in my meat-carrier-pack and trying to get on a bike... That's a movie I'd like to see :)
In my younger days I did stupid things like that. Then once you get going you are wobbly all over the place as you balance shifts from one leg to the other.

Reactions: taskswap

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
In my younger days I did stupid things like that. Then once you get going you are wobbly all over the place as you balance shifts from one leg to the other.
I guess i am still stupid in my mid 50's. but i think i am 29 and creak like i am 79.

ore hunter

Very Active Member
Jul 25, 2014
i have a rambo e- bike i bought a few years back,but havnt put it to much use yet as nat forest dont allow them behind the gates,,have used some on blm land,,and have used on some of the "motorized"trails,,it is very quiet,,far more than the "pop" of my atv.its still far heavyer than a regular bike,so its not the best choice if you take the battery off and use pedal power.i also have to worry about somebody ripping it off,,it has pros and cons,,i really dont use it near as much as i thought i would.