Driving thru Canada

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
We had an interesting trip, driving thru Canada. First, We were allowed to drive thru because of being Alaska residents that needed to get home. Prior to going to the boarder, I called the Canadian travel authority to see if it was even possible to transit thru their country. The answer was a solid "maybe". The person I spoke to said it was highly likely but she could not give 100 percent assurance that we would be allowed too. The final decision was given at the boarder.

Once at the boarder of Washington and British Columbia, the boarder guy checked our passports and confirmed our Alaska residency. He asked if we had guns...we didn't. I let him know that we weren't transporting fresh fruits/vegies, etc, as they always ask. He said he really didn't care what food we had as long as we had sufficient food to get us thru BC, as we would not be allowed to stop for food, groceries etc.
He then directed us to a Provincial check station 50 yards away. 2 guys there asked us our travel plans/route. We said the Cassiar Highway (37a) which is shortest. They liked that and restated that we were to not make any stops other than for fuel, had to pay at the pump and not enter the building. No stopping at cafes, stores or hotels. They were aware that we sleep in our truck and were okay with us staying in pullouts.

We had a great drive thru BC with very little traffic and lots of wildlife.

Once thru BC at the Yukon Territory boarder, we were met by a checkpoint and a Yukon provincial officer. He gave us the same restrictions but also required that we were to be out of the Yukon province within 24 hours and we had to sign a form saying we would. No sweat, I can do that! We were then met by a checkpoint in Whitehorse and 2 ladies who were making sure we didn't alter the planned trip.

We stayed overnight in a turnout in the Yukon, but easily were out of country within the 24 hour limit!

That all said...every check station/boarder agent that we encountered in Canada were exceptionally friendly and professional. They understood the inconveniences and were just doing the job assigned to them as required. It was a nice trip thru considering we couldn't dawdle and stop to enjoy the local lodges and Canadian hospitality. I didn't miss all the motorhomes we usually encounter on the drive and the wildlife seemed easier to see. I counted 47 bears along the Cassiar Highway alone!

Last edited: