Drew NM unit 36

RedRaider13

Jul 25, 2017
I may be 800 or those views... trying to learn more about this unit as it is my first archery hunting elk. I know where the elk are in December, have seen them many times while on vacation. But I have never been in the wilderness in September.

swampokie

Veteran member
Jul 29, 2013
Haworth Oklahoma
Uve completed the hardest part of the hunt by just getting the tag. I've been putting this unit as first choice since 2008 and have yet to pull it. U will have a great hunt. Enjoy it With the draw odds it mite be a while before u go back.

RedRaider13

Jul 25, 2017
I was in elk every day, got within 46 yards of a big 6x6 the other day but didn't have a clear shot opportunity. I unfortunately had to leave and return home yesterday to take care of my kid who got sick while I was gone. Was a heck of a first elk hunt for me, enjoyed my time on the mountain. Good luck to those that are still out there.

Doe Nob

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Absolutely on a general tag. This unit is hard as hell to draw though, second hardest area in NM next to the Gila.

I dont' have a problem sharing info on LE areas that are like OIL draws, and most hunters that have drawn OIL dont' have a problem helping future tag owners.

I could see not wanting to share info if you are shelling out $6-$9k for a unit wide landowner tag - but if you are spending that kind of money I think there are better places to spend it.

WapitiBob

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
Bend, Orygun
The problem is you're not telling one person, and those people also don't have a problem telling others, and in a cpl years those decent spots are now passed around like Bonita, Nogal, and the ski area.
I put a friend in there last year. He was into bulls every day, all day, and never saw or heard another hunter the whole trip. He opens his mouth and that spot goes to hell in a hurry. I have no problem helping someone that does some work and has spots lined up that needs a bit of guidance or clarification but "I need a place to start" isn't gonna cut it. 30 seconds with a map will give you a place to start.

gretch6364

Aug 24, 2011
New Mexico results are posted. Drew first archery for unit 36...time to start working out and dropping a couple lbs!