Drew area 125 tag

HuntWYODon

Very Active Member
Dec 19, 2011
Kalifornia
I haven't been on the forum for awhile.
Last year some of you got me interested in area 125. I've driven through 125 for the last 15 yrs but always hunted Reg. F. I spoke with Guy about it before I put in and mentioned I had no pts. because of always putting in for Reg. F.
I also mentioned area 109 and 89 ( I have 40 acres in 89 that butts up to Rattlesnake Mtns:) . He told me it would take max 6 pts for 89 and probably 5 for 109 and 125. I told him I drew 125 with 0 pts. this year. I know, lucky SOB ! His wife drew 121 elk ( I drew in 2008) 125 deer and 75 loper ! Talk about lucky or banking pts. ! They are going to be busy ! Hope he doesn't mind me mentioning all that...
I read some post from last year about 125 (where I got the idea) but haven't seen anything since.
Anybody out there willing to tell me a good starting area. I'll be hunting it from Nov.5th to 15th.
I will greatly appreciate any input.
Thanks

HuntWYODon

Very Active Member
Dec 19, 2011
Kalifornia
Well, at least I had 52 views. I was just trying a little pyscology... ;)
Only had one taker....
Thanks !
Last year I saw Wyoming Man and Elkoholic talking about 125. Don't remember who posted it.
Figured they might chime in. HEY YOU GUYS , WHERE ARE YOU ! :rolleyes:
Thanks and take care Murdy !

Last edited:

HuntWYODon

Very Active Member
Dec 19, 2011
Kalifornia
How did you do in 125?
I was hoping nobody would ask... My son and a friend had Reg. F general tags. That ends on 11/10. My area 125 ended on 11/15 so I figured the last half of season would be best with the rut and weather. We got to Cody on 11/6. My son shot his buck first afternoon . Spent the next 4 days helping friend get a buck. Got him on 3 with one a 28 in 5x5 with eyegaurds he missed at 75 yds. On the 9th , 2nd day of snow. After that I said screw this, I'm going to make a pre run to my area 30 mi. east . The south side looked nice with mtns and trees. Interior is badlands . Drove out to where a local friend said to try by Squaw Tits. Saw no deer anywhere for miles until we got on backside of there. Saw a doe coming out of a canyon. I said if another doe comes up I'm grabbing my rifle. Well a few came up and then a nice buck. I was trying to get a good look at his antlers. I could see from side he was a perfect 4x4 with binos. Cranked rifle scope up to 24x to see better and right before he went behind the rim I saw his rack from behind. He was at least 26 in wide and had good mass which I heard wasn't the norm in that area. I should of sat down with bipod out first thing and looked through scope. He was only about 200 yds away. I walked fast out to rim about 400 yds thinking they would be over the edge. Nothing. I saw their tracks in the snow and mud from above. Got down and followed. They had gone around the rim to my left while walking out on it. I couldn't see either side from top. They had to have ran to get up and across the road and over other side into canyons because I glassed everywhere and walked the canyon rims near there. Disappeared. I was expecting those deer to act like the deer in South Fork. The deer in area 125 are spooky. The sound or sight of a truck will get them gone. Didn't get back out there until the 11th. On the 10th tried to help friend get buck on his last day. Saw one. That afternoon spun out on black ice in South Fork ,went off road and knocked rear tire off rim. The 11th went out to 125 to same spot. Followed a big buck track in the snow up and down canyons glassing ahead for about 3/4 mi. Never saw him. All tracks were heading towards private land. They were migrating out . Couldn't find a deer anywhere. That afternoon I decided to give friend one more chance in area 124 which he could still hunt For buck though 11th .On way out to on dirt road I got a flat on front tire ! A sharp rock right though ! Spent all day 12th dealing with tires. 13th I went to area Elkoholic307 told me to try. I should of went there first. There were deer tracks in the snow all over the hills all Heading towards private land. I found a big buck track and followed/glassed. Never found. think it was from the night or day before. Tried that same area next two days. Nothing. They had all migrated down to private. Saw some nice bucks in the fields that were once in the hills though ! I pissed that tag away...only good thing, I didnt burn any points . Got it with zero. One of two random out of 12 non res tags. I wonder how Guy Eastman's wife did in 125 ? I saw them the afternoon I saw the buck I should of shot. Long story. Sorry.

Last edited:

Elkoholic307

Banned
Feb 25, 2011
Base of the Bighorns
Sorry to hear about all the bad luck. It was a tough year for hunting 125 this year. The drought was the worst I've ever seen... and it showed with the deer hitting the fields hard and not returning to the hills.

HuntWYODon

Very Active Member
Dec 19, 2011
Kalifornia
Thanks Elkoholic307.
I think it would of been a lot better if I had concentated on hunting 125 instead of helping out in the general area. They were there. The snow got them moving and I think within 2 days they were out of public land. The area you mentioned would of been great during that time instead of concentrating on Squaw Tits area. I should of not messed around and pulled the trigger on the one I did see instead of being so picky. My fault there ! Thanks again though !