Does scope color really matter?

packer58

Very Active Member
Aug 24, 2011
Loma Rica, Ca.
Beyond aesthetics, any downsides to a silver matte scope on a blued gun?
As far as functionality there is no difference. Its just whatever suits you as far as finished rifle appearance, personally I don't care for "silver" scopes either on blue rifles or stainless.

ando_31

Sep 14, 2012
ND
I feel more comfortable with matte finishes. I'm have this paranoid feeling that the silver or shiny finishes will reflect more sunlight and attract more attention. I have no evidence that the finish on a scope or rifle has ever ruined a hunt though.

CrossCreeks

Veteran member
Mar 6, 2014
Dover, Tennessee
I really like Stainless finish rifles and Stainless finish scopes. I have you in reverse on one gun I have a standard matte scope on a stainless gun a 25.06 and I have gotten use to a guess it helps that it shoots like a dream. I guess there is no real fashion police when it comes to hunting. You could ask the same questions about rings and mounts, just my thoughts.

tttoadman

Very Active Member
Nov 16, 2012
Oregon
My guns are tools. All I care about if form and function. I have handed down guns from my Dad that are wood with matte scopes. The only gun I ever bought myself is all matta black down to the black strap I put on it. I think stainless or gloss finish could put off an unwelcome glare.