Dillon presses?

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
Are dillon presses worth the cost and the extra costs for different calibers?

I can pick up 500c for 500 bucks brand new.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
If you are doing a lot of loading and shooting then they are worth the extra cost. If you only shoot a couple hundred rounds a year and don't mind relaxing a little bit as you load with a turret or single stage press then they aren't.

Back when I was shooting quite a bit I thought about getting a 550 but kept putting it off telling myself that I enjoy the peace and quiet time of sitting down at my turret press and punching out rounds one at a time so I never did buy one. Anymore I break up my loading duties in three or four steps. I'll size and deprime the cases and throw it into the tumbler for a day. Then I'll sit in front of the TV and prime all of the cases with a Lee hand priming tool. Then I'll get down to the press and automatic powder dispenser for the rest of it.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I enjoy the mechanics of things so I really enjoy my xl900 ( now that it’s running right) and my progressive Lee loadmaster. That loadmaster (in 9mm)Spits out a pile of rounds in 1 hour.

A lot of people really enjoy those 550’s from what I read. Have read up on the 500c.

With the shortage of supplies it’s a tough call to invest in equipment right now. I’m glad all of my stuff is bought and paid for.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Jim is correct. You really have to shoot a lot to justify the cost.

I have some friends that travel year round to shoots all over the country and have several Dillons setup for each caliber they shoot. The whole family shoots, so they need the ability to load a lot in a short time.

I don't shoot much competition anymore, except for Bulls Eye PISTOL. I shoot about 200 rounds per week of .38 in my match pistol. I reload with a RCBS turret tool and spend a couple of hours a week in a very relaxed atmosphere. When I was cowboy action shooting in competition, I shot a couple of thousand rounds per month in practice and matches. I used the same RCBS turret, just changed turret plates setup for different calibers. I could load everything I needed in about 3 to 4 hours a week. This includes case prep also

When my Dad and I shot ATA trap, we didn't reload for it. Dad owned a gun shop and we bought shotgun ammo by the case wholesale, so we didn't really need to reload for trap shooting.

Last edited:
Reactions: RICMIC