Diamond Creek Archery Elk - Spike Camp a winner???

May 16, 2015
Lucky and snagged an elk archery tag for Diamond Creek Unit for this fall. Have never hunted the area. I'm out of state and won't have an opportunity to scout before season, but I'm thinking of hiking in a few miles from a road and putting up a spike camp for a solo hunt in mid to late September. I'd appreciate thoughts on solo spike camping and whether that would be a more successful approach for this area than camping at a campsite driving to a spot and walking in from a road every day. Am I wasting my time and going to a lot of effort for no better chance of finding a nice bull? I'm unsure about access points and areas I should consider for access - most ground looks to be Natl Forest with some BLM on lower ground. My Google Earth study and perusal of IDFG maps function show plenty (too many?) of roads in areas that look like elk habitat. Don't yet have the Forest Service Road Closure (Use) maps to identify what the situation is during the archery elk season. Hopefully, some of the roads will be closed so that 2-3 miles in will put me in a good position for success. I don't want anyone's honey holes, but if you've hunted the unit before and are willing to share advice or suggestions or general thoughts on spike camping and how that's worked for you I'd appreciate it. PM me if you like. Thank you.