Determining Public Land and Access Points

BKHunter

Aug 27, 2015
New York
Hello All,

I am looking to hunt Colorado this fall for OTC Elk, and was wondering once I have selected a few units I want to research where do I go in order to determine public land access and trail heads to get into these areas? Basically I guess what I am asking is there a way to see a map of a unit with an overlay of all public land and how to get into these parcels. Thanks for any help you can offer a rookie.

BK

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Can you narrow it down some? Some of the NF maps have the hunting units marked on them, some don't. For non NF land, get a blm map. I have a chip specific to Colorado for my GPS that shows all private prop and who is the owner.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Depending on what unit you are planning on hunting it could be quite simple, but get the wrong unit towards Denver and the front range and it can be a nightmare. Here is also a good source for maps. The BLM maps will also have US Forest Service maps along with the private being marked on them

As for accessing the public lands, most of the county roads will access them through the private property.

zeroforhire

Apr 23, 2016
Get onxmaps. Join backcountry hunters and anglers to get it as a free gift. It basically pays for itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
As others have said....BLM maps online, hard copy or chip/GPS. National forest maps and the Colorado Hunting Atlas online has very good overlays also. I tend to use the CHA while studying / game planning and my phone/gps/chip in the field