Daypack gear lists

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
Mine is similar

I rarely carry a GPS anymore on a day hunt.

I put together my day pack I think to myself do I have everything I need to legally kill the game I'm pursuing? I didn't see you list your hunting license and tag. That's the first thing I get, then rifle, ammo then I know for sure I have what I need to take the animal. Then on to my clothing system and so on.

Daubs

Aug 5, 2016
Nebraska
...I didn't see you list your hunting license and tag. That's the first thing I get, then rifle, ammo then I know for sure I have what I need to take the animal. Then on to my clothing system and so on.
Hunting license and deer tag are the very first things I pack, and do that while I'm at home. They get put in zip-lock and stored in chest pocket of my blaze hunting vest. So I know it's there every time I leave the truck.

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
Great list mcseal2. I reviewed and updated my day pack before rifle season. I have two basic plans hunting public in the Sandhills of Nebraska:

1. Sit and glass, load up the 2,400 cu. in Cabela's rifle pack with food, water, first aid kit, camp seat, leatherman, headlamp, spare ammo, tenacious tape, emergency bivy, compass, hand-warmers, InReach, Garmin Rino 655T, Zeiss Conquest 10x42's, Leica rangefinder, knife, wet-wipes (ass wipe), poly camp towel, spare gloves. Extra clothing as the weather warrants.
2. Run and gun: Load the following in my blaze pack vest -- InReach, Garmin GPS, Zeiss binos, rangefinder, extra bullets, first aid kit, wet wipes, knife, camp seat.

I hunt alone, so the InReach is with me every step in case of emergency. I always, ALWAYS take the Garmin GPS and mark my truck before heading out. Amazing how easy it is to get lost wandering those Sandhills. I stay in a hotel, and drive in and out every day, so my set up can be a little lighter than others.

I've considered adding a spotter and tripod, but to date I have not found a need. May reassess in the future. Thanks again for the list. Much appreciated.
Glad it helped, it helped me too!

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
Mine is similar

I rarely carry a GPS anymore on a day hunt.

I put together my day pack I think to myself do I have everything I need to legally kill the game I'm pursuing? I didn't see you list your hunting license and tag. That's the first thing I get, then rifle, ammo then I know for sure I have what I need to take the animal. Then on to my clothing system and so on.
Good point on the license and tag. I usually have those in a zipper pocket on my pants inside a zip lock. My reasoning is that I may drop my pack on a stalk that ends up being longer than expected. If I'm ever checked while off on an adventure like that I will have them on my person. I wound up over a mile from my pack once by the time I intercepted an elk. I got the elk quartered up with my pocket knife and took a quarter over my shoulder so I didn't make a wasted trip to where my pack was. Got that quarter part way out the first trip.

More replies I get the more stuff I realize I left off my list that I carry.