Danner boot question

lostriverproductions

Dec 27, 2011
Goshen IN
So last year I ordered through amazon prime wardrobe, a pair of danner; pronghorns, high country and east ridge. They let you "try" them for 7 days without having to pay for them, returns are free. Anyways, I liked the fit of the east ridge, and they were US made. Sent them back since they were now not on sale. A month or so later I found a site that had them on sale for a good price. I ordered them in the same size and width as I tried through amazon. They sat in the box for about 90 days before I tried them on. Right away the left boot felt narrower in the toe area. I called danner to question the issue and see if they had an idea to make the fit a little better? They recommended thier boot treatment to soften the leather and would send me some free of charge, ,but I already had some. So I treated the boots and started breaking them in by wearing some thicker socks then I planned to wear while hunting. It was tight enough it hurt my feet, so I went to the socks I planned to wear. After a couple days and a mile or two on the boots no change. I called danner about the issue and was disappointed in the responses I got. They said they would exchange them as long as I hadn't wore them outside or treated them, I told them someone there suggested I treat them. I continued to break them in slowly and would stuff socks in as tight as I could to try and stretch them out. I have put probably 40 miles on them now and still have the same issue of being to tight.

Anyone else have similar issues? Suggestions?

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
Sorry, not really. Footwear is a super personal fit thing, and boots are made to be tough and rigid, not pliable. I really doubt conditioning them is going to / would have done much.

I have the Danner Alsea and love them. I think I have about 15mi on them so far, not over super rugged terrain but bashing my way through dense thistles and grass while pheasant hunting for part of it. They've been great so far.

Not questioning your approach at all, but since opinions are free here... footwear is basically the one thing I will NEVER buy online, even despite Amazon's usually good policies. I don't buy anything for my feet I can't stomp around the store in for a half hour. After fracturing my heel on a rough-country 15-mi hike in crappy footwear I won't take chances like that again.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
If you have a boot cobbler near you they have tools that will actually stretch the leather.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I doubt that you want to do it to your Danner boots but a trick that we used to use to get tight cowboy boots to fit was to put them on and then go stand in some water for a while. Fishing was great, then wear them until they were dry.

We would get a custom fit that fit better than a glove. By the way, we would do this with leather gloves also.

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
While stationed in Alaska with the Army we were permitted to wear a Danner warm weather boot, their Fort Lewis boot.
I have a very wide foot and they didn't really fit but it was cold and the boots were warm so I wore them.
After a while they stretched and adjusted to my foot and fit pretty well.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
Another thing you probably don't want to try, but you can fill them half full of water and freeze them, that'll stretch them out. Had a friend who use to swear by this, but he was a bit odd.

marcusvdk

Veteran member
Dec 13, 2011
Michigan
Sorry, not really. Footwear is a super personal fit thing, and boots are made to be tough and rigid, not pliable. I really doubt conditioning them is going to / would have done much.

I have the Danner Alsea and love them. I think I have about 15mi on them so far, not over super rugged terrain but bashing my way through dense thistles and grass while pheasant hunting for part of it. They've been great so far.

Not questioning your approach at all, but since opinions are free here... footwear is basically the one thing I will NEVER buy online, even despite Amazon's usually good policies. I don't buy anything for my feet I can't stomp around the store in for a half hour. After fracturing my heel on a rough-country 15-mi hike in crappy footwear I won't take chances like that again.
I'm with you on trying on in store but my issue is no stores carry my size in stock and i get limited options on boots being a size 15 shoe

lostriverproductions

Dec 27, 2011
Goshen IN
After the amazon ones were returned, while traveling I stopped in a sheels and tried a pair on to compare against Crispi west rivers and they fitted me the same, I think I just happen to have gotten one that is a little narrower.

I am going to give them a call again and see what they say.

lostriverproductions

Dec 27, 2011
Goshen IN
I doubt that you want to do it to your Danner boots but a trick that we used to use to get tight cowboy boots to fit was to put them on and then go stand in some water for a while. Fishing was great, then wear them until they were dry.

We would get a custom fit that fit better than a glove. By the way, we would do this with leather gloves also.
This is how we broke in our dirt bike boots, jump in a creek and ride until they were dry.

lostriverproductions

Dec 27, 2011
Goshen IN
So an update, they had me file a warranty claim online. We emailed back and forth asking for info and pictures. They then asked me to send them in for evaluation. I sent them in, a couple days after they received them I got a email from danner, different email from the warranty claim email stating I have a credit on my account. So I guess that is there way of letting me know that there was a problem with the one boot? Would have been nice to have gotten an email stating that there was a problem with the boot.