Damn Weather

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Been trying to get to the range for 2 weeks and all it does is wind....wind....wind. Looks like that for the next week too. Need to sightin in my new .300 Wby Ruger No 1 after I got the scope back from Leupold. for a checkup.

Reactions: gonhunting247

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I've been trying to get out to my range on BLM ground for the last couple of weeks. I know that my rifle is on after shooting it last year but 9 months of downtime don't help much in getting all the muscle memory back.

I need to start shooting for my trip the first of June which is approaching very fast.. Perhaps next week once the mud is a little bit drier so that I don't get struck.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
It's pretty dry down here, but the wind starts between 9 & 10 almost every day. I need to sight in at 50 years then got to 200 yards to get the new turret from Leupold zero'd in.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I've learned that where I live that I go out to shoot at 7am and need to be done by 10am or the winds will destroy whatever accuracy you are after.

Reactions: Colorado Cowboy

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Always amazed my how far a bullet will drift at 400 yards with a slight breeze.

Looking forward to seeing how that #1 shoots!

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
its been a really wacky spring. Was talking with some buddies and none of us remember the spring being so windy as it has been this spring. And the rain has been non-stop. It didn't break 62 today. Suppose to hit 91 degrees next Tuesday. Spring is normally volatile but this weather has been bonkers.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Wind has been nonstop for about 3 weeks. I usually am not bothered by allergies, but the pollen and dust have been raising hell with my nose, throat and eyes.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
We just got some much needed rain actually. I planted grass 3 weeks ago and it is finally sprouting up good. I was afraid it was going to burn up for fortunately we have been getting heavy early morning dews and got a couple good showers in the last couple days. Looks like it may not be a waste of money after all.

Cost a small fortune to plant my new yard. 120 straw bales and 3- 50 pound bags of Kentucky 31. Lord have mercy that about broke me...

I am not going to mow it until its 10" high. Then it will be light trimmings until it is fully established. lol

I tired to go 100% durana clover but the wife wasn't having it. lol

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
Wind has been nonstop for about 3 weeks. I usually am not bothered by allergies, but the pollen and dust have been raising hell with my nose, throat and eyes.
I am bothered by allergies, and this year has been absolutely brutal. I take an allegra daily, even during the winter. I supplement with benadryl and flonase when allergies are bad. I had a few days where I was taking 4 benadryl and snorting flonase every 2 hours. Made me a zombie. Without taking it my eyes will swell shut.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Just got back from the range and it looks like the loads for my old .300 Wby arn't going to make it. My Ruger #1 doesn't really shoot these loads as good as I want it to. Guess I'll pull the bullets and use the same powder & bullets and start some different weights of the powder.
IMG_1259.JPG
The target was shot at 100 yds. Shots 1 & 2 then I adjusted and 3 & 4 were the result. I shot several other targets and it just won't group well. Shot 17 rounds total.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Just curious if you fire formed your brass and bumped shoulders back .003-.004 or did you FLR? Never reloaded for a one-lunger before.

* Nevermind, I see you used your old loads for your old gun.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Just curious if you fire formed your brass and bumped shoulders back .003-.004 or did you FLR? Never reloaded for a one-lunger before.

* Nevermind, I see you used your old loads for your old gun.
My old loads would not chamber in the new Ruger, it has a tighter chamber. I pulled all the bullets, full length sized the brass (so it would chamber in the Ruger) and used the same powder charge. I have the brass I shot today and I'll just neck size it when I load it again.

Reactions: mallardsx2

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
Your thread title sums up spring so far in my part of Iowa. If we even get a sole nice day/week. My younger kids play soccer, I've never seen a spring in almost 20 yrs here where so many games got canceled. Soil temps are among some of the coldest on record; famers around here are behind in planting. Latest forecast now has us flirting with 90° by the middle of next week. Going from the heater to air conditioner in just a couple days.

Me and my friends have had to nix several range trips on account of rain and wind. Hoping for better days for all. Have to keep the saw sharp!

Last edited:

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
The other thing I need to do is lighten the trigger. It is pretty heavy for me and my likes. Don't have any experience with the Ruger #1, but like JimP suggested, I have joined the Ruger #1 Forum and getting info there .

Reactions: mallardsx2

memtb

Not that I have time or motivation to walk (OK load all the gear in the Polaris Ranger) the 50 yards to my shooting bench……we’ve got wind also.

We rarely get wind, except when a front is moving through, but Ma Nature is trying to make up for lost time! Most often, just go out and shoot! memtb

memtb

Colorado Cowboy, #1’s can be ”fickle”! Sometimes they shoot awsome…..sometimes really poorly! I’ve never tried to “tune” one, but, I’ve heard about tricks that those knowledge with #1’s usually do to make them shoot! Do an internet search….you may find the info you need! Good Luck! memtb