Dad’s first Mule Deer hunt

D_Dubya

Aug 8, 2012
South Texas
So I had the opportunity this week to take my dad on his first Mule Deer Hunt in New Mexico. He has been wanting to go out west hunting a long time, so I put him in the New Mexico draw the last two years - no tag in ‘19 but pulled one this year. He’s in his early 70’s and just got a clean bill of health after having a pretty good go with cancer. He did a heck of a job getting in shape the last 6 months for the hunt.
I had hunted the unit before and had an area I thought would produce, the first evening we went in and half the hunters in the unit where there, no shots fired though. We hunted a different area the next morning and the wind was really blowing, saw a couple does and a spike. We went back to the other area as the night before and had it to ourselves. Hiked in about a mile and set up to glass. I went around to the other side of the hill and saw three bucks on the opposite hillside, went back and got dad and we got to 260 yards and he said “I’d like to shoot that one!” I didn’t argue, he got set up and popped him dead in the shoulder. Not a monster but what a great experience!

Attachments

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
What a great hunt! You will never forget it and neither will he.

I lost my Dad in 2012, he was 94. I took him on his last hunt when he was 90 and he filled his bull elk tag. Treasure the time you have with him.

Reactions: D_Dubya

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Congrats, with that smile on your face you would of thought that you were the one that got him.

That is a nice buck.

TexElkHunter817

May 26, 2015
Texas
Congrats to your dad! We just got back from hunting mule deer in New Mexico. We saw 1 good buck the day before the season opened and only saw does and rattlesnakes the rest of the time. We also saw plenty of utv's everywhere as well. Tag soup again!