D DAY 1944

jmwyoming

Feb 28, 2013
Lost springs wy
It probably won't be on news or in the newspaper. I had 2 great uncles who were part of operation overlord. 1 who landed on Omaha beachhead 1st infantry Div. The other at St Mere Eglise 82nd Abn. Both had already seen combat in North Africa and Sicily. Thank you to all the WW2 generation for your sacrifices.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I've seen a few things on the news about it but not much.

The further that we get away from that day the less they will put out. It used to be on the TV that a few stations would run WWII movies about it such as The Longest Day and others but the interest in those movies is also waning.

Here's to the Greatest Generation.....

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
Kinda said you dont see this on the new more given the importance of the event and sacrifices made
At least we do get to see everything we never wanted to know about the "Royal Family", and who wore what at the academy awards in 2006.
D-Day is more forgotten history that is seldom being taught. Cudos to The Greatest Generation; their sacrifices will never be forgotten while some of us are still alive,

marcusvdk

Veteran member
Dec 13, 2011
Michigan
Im a young one on here at 33 years old and ive always loved history it amazes me the lack of knowledge my generation and younger has about our past. Our education system has failed in this regard. I normally have to find people much older then me to find any type of knowledge and good conversation about our world history

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
it is not so much that our education system has failed . they have actually succeeded beyond their wildest expectations .

if you don't know your nations history and what your freedoms are you are not likely to fight for them when they are taken away.

I expect it won't be long before the left claims WW2 never happened at all.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I think that it is already happening. I have read where some classes are totally ignoring the holocaust and those that do mention it downplay the 6 million number.

A lot of history books totally ignore everything that happened before 1960 except perhaps showing what was going on in a timeline.

But it is no different than the rest of history. Unless you can relate to it directly by having a family member who was there most think that it is irrelevant and doesn't matter since it was in the past.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
they certainly stepped up and did what needed done and for doing it I will be forever grateful.

but the simple truth is their generation had its fair share of screwups and lowlifes also . so...... great generation ? damn straight ! greatest ?? I think not .
every generation believes the next to be lacking but though there seems to be plenty of screwups in the younger generations today ,plenty are stepping up and doing what must be done and my hat is off to them as well. every war since the big one american troops have dominated the enemy. they don't lack it is the political leadership that is lacking today

if the greatest generation was really so great why are so many of their children lacking?????????????? I would say much of the blame can be attributed to poor parenting. I believe in personal accountability BUT a bible passage also comes to mind "train up a child in the way they should go and they will not depart from it!"
it is easy to claim greatness and place blame on others but a true measure of a man is to recognize his faults and shortcomings and strive to do better and teach his children to do better.
merely pointing out one example of not so great.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Im a young one on here at 33 years old and ive always loved history it amazes me the lack of knowledge my generation and younger has about our past. Our education system has failed in this regard. I normally have to find people much older then me to find any type of knowledge and good conversation about our world history
What scares me is how so many people call it "boring" and will miss when we start heading down the parallel roads that history often has.