Cutting weight in the pack.

JPSeveland

Jun 8, 2014
Cheyenne Wyoming
Hey guys i currently use a 0 degree bag from go lite that is out of buissness now it weight is 3.5 lbs and works great, but is a bit much for the september season. I was thinking of buying a 30degree bad and use thermorest neo xtherm for a pad to stay warm incase cold weather comes threw and if i get that cold i can wear some of my hunting close as more insulation. I have spent my hole life in the mountains and you never know what weather is going to hit you up there. Do any of you have any suggestions or do you think i am on the right path. I need a long sleeping bag and was looking at kuiu and big agnes and want to keep it under 2 lbs.

Matthoek21

Veteran member
Mar 18, 2011
Peachtree City, GA.
Absolutely on the right path. No need for 0 degree bag that time of year. I have an extra long 20 degree bag and at times it is too much but I sleep cold. I just leave it unzipped when I'm hot. I have a north face. I'm 6'4" so I needed the long bag.

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
I tend to have a heavier pack for 7 days. Right at 60 lbs last year. I do the same thing every year after season. I lay everything on the floor and ask myself what could I have done without. The things I didn't use or dint even remember I packed in I toss it in the do not bring again container. I am the type that likes to sleep and be comfortable while in the high country so My sleeping and tent systems are pretty constant and works for me. I did upgrade sleeping bags this year and lost almost 1 pound doing so. I went with the plasma 15 degree bag which I found a great deal on. I also lost almost 2 pounds in camera gear. I went from a Canon HV40 with heavy batteries and tapes to a Sony DSC-RX100M III which does both video and photos like the Canob HV40 just a much lighter system.

Hopefully I will have a packlist up soon for this season.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
JP; I have the XTherm, and it works as advertised. Some have complained about it being noisy, but it hasn't kept me awake. As far as your bag goes, a lot depends on whether you are a cold sleeper or not. I have a full set of merino wool as a layer. Don't often need to wear it during the day, but always wear it in the bag. A good down vest and a beanie will fill the bill for the real cold nights. I have a cheapie down vest that works, but am looking at the Kuiu down vest as an upgrade. Try to NEVER wear your outer clothing in the bag.

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
More a dirt issue. Will ruin a good bag.
good call, never really even thought about it that way. I sweat like a banchie in my sleep, my outer layer always comes off and if it happens to be a super cold night my bottom base layer generally does the trick. 20 and 30 degree bags are allways real light for the higher quality ones and work great.

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
You will sweat in the bag which is not what you want. I always just sleep in boxers and maybe a tshirt if you do this you will be much more comfortable. I started using a silk liner and really like it as it feels more like sheets in the bag. It also keeps dirt from getting against the sleeping bag. You can pull the liner out and shake it out if you get anything in it. The liners are very light weight.
Why not wear outer clothing in the bag?

jimss

Jun 10, 2012
I would recommend buying or borrowing a scale. Make up a list and weigh ALL you gear (including your rifle, bow, boots, etc). I've been taking self-guided trips to Alaska the past 10 years. It's essential for me to cut weight and bulk to save on flight baggage costs....as well as weight limits flying into dropoff locations.

After weighing all your hunting stuff....figure out which items weigh the most. You will find out that it gets fairly expensive in a hurry cutting weight/bulk..especially if you buy quality gear! Generally speaking your rifle/bow, pack, tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, boots, spotting scope, tripod, coat, raingear, etc are where you can significantly cut weight and bulk. You are on the right track!

In regard to sleeping bags. I only weigh 145 lbs dripping wet. I get cold a lot easier than most guys. I pretty much take a 0 degree bag with me everywhere I go in early fall/winter. Obviously some guys need a warmer bag than others. It's possible to add/subtract layers depending upon how warm/cold it is. I generally am warm when I go to bed and often cooler by morning. It's a bad idea to have too many clothes on when you first hit the hay or you may end up pretty damp/sweatie by morning? Everyone is a little different so figure out a system that you are comfortable with!

kevin_T

Aug 19, 2011
I use a 20 degree FF flicker and it is 27 ounces. It works well in temps near freezing . It is not terribly pricey for a quality item either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

laxwyo

Very Active Member
You'd be surprised how much eating well before bed will help you stay warm.

I have a 15 or a 20 degree marmot and love it. I also agree that wearing little in your sleeping bag actually helps. It doesn't sound right but it's true as long as your noodle is covered.