Custom Turret Systems

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
Has anyone used this product in lieu of a new custom turret? It is a custom adhesive backed product you apply to your existing turret. You get 4 identical custom tapes for $25. Allows you to dial to distance. The on-line reviews I saw looked good. I have a one time high altitude hunt this year and am thinking this makes more sense than getting a new custom turret I'll never use again. Almost all of my hunts are at more moderate altitude, where a new turret I can use for years makes more sense to me.

Appreciate your input.

http://customturretsystems.com/

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
First of all let me say that I like custom ballistic turrets. I shoot Leupold scopes on all my rifles and have their custom turrets for most of my stuff. With that said, my personal opinion is that way too much value is placed on their need for MOST big game hunting. I did a little research and here is an example of why I feel this way. Caliber: 30-06, 180 gr bullet, mv 2750 sighted in at 100 yds. The drop will be 13.6" at 300 yds at 1000' elevation. Same gun & load sighted in at 100 yds will drop 12.6" at 300 yds at 11,000' feet elevation. Basically a change of 1". Another thing to remember is that atmospheric pressure has the most effect on bullet flight. Less pressure, less drag. Usually the AP lessens with higher altitude, but storm fronts and weather change AP lots also. It's really a crap shoot if you are a 1000" shooter!

Unless you are planning on shooting 500 yds and longer, they are probably a waste of time. I want my hunting rifles to be as accurate as possible and the Leupold turrets and pretty reasonable in price. I also don't plan on changing loads very often, so they make sense for me.

Just sayin..................

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
First of all let me say that I like custom ballistic turrets. I shoot Leupold scopes on all my rifles and have their custom turrets for most of my stuff. With that said, my personal opinion is that way too much value is placed on their need for MOST big game hunting. I did a little research and here is an example of why I feel this way. Caliber: 30-06, 180 gr bullet, mv 2750 sighted in at 100 yds. The drop will be 13.6" at 300 yds at 1000' elevation. Same gun & load sighted in at 100 yds will drop 12.6" at 300 yds at 11,000' feet elevation. Basically a change of 1". Another thing to remember is that atmospheric pressure has the most effect on bullet flight. Less pressure, less drag. Usually the AP lessens with higher altitude, but storm fronts and weather change AP lots also. It's really a crap shoot if you are a 1000" shooter!

Unless you are planning on shooting 500 yds and longer, they are probably a waste of time. I want my hunting rifles to be as accurate as possible and the Leupold turrets and pretty reasonable in price. I also don't plan on changing loads very often, so they make sense for me.

Just sayin..................
I tend to agree with you. However, for this hunt, I need to be prepared to shoot 600+ ish. So it will matter should that be my only chance. I know my trajectory with my sight in to 400, maybe a bit further, and only plan to dial for distance past that if absolutely necessary.

Still be interested to know if anyone has used this product.

Tim, I've seen those labels advertised and they got my attention too. I, like you, have a rifle/scope combo that is for the most part set-up with a dial turret calculated for the altitude where the rifle/scope will find its most use. However, there is a hunt I'm hopeful to make where the elevation will be much greater and the distance long. Right now I'm leaning towards taking the plunge and just going with the extra turret over the label system. My question concerning the labels is the durability. Will they stay in place or if the adhesive is so strong to keep them in place then can they be easily removed when they're not needed? I'm going to monitor your thread and hopefully someone with first hand experience will chime in.

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
Steve, I have the same concerns. But I think I'll try them. You get 4, so can bring spares, but I plan to use a scopecoat when transporting my rifle. What I could find on reviews was all positive, including durability and ability to remove. I will have the ability to dial moa by clicks on my turret too, based on the current dope I have, so that is my back up plan. Was just hoping to get unbiased reports here, as you never know the motives of the reviewers. A couple were from "trusted" sources. Odds are all my teeth knashing about this will amount to nothing if I do my job and stalk to 300 yards or less...

Yup, I know what you mean concerning all the teeth knashing. I go through the same pre-hunt anxieties before any long awaited hunt hoping to hedge off any situation that may present itself. Always best to be prepared. P.S. I did get the SD lic., just waiting for the adjoining neighbors to finalize their lic. plans as I may try for one of those also.

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
Yup, I know what you mean concerning all the teeth knashing. I go through the same pre-hunt anxieties before any long awaited hunt hoping to hedge off any situation that may present itself. Always best to be prepared. P.S. I did get the SD lic., just waiting for the adjoining neighbors to finalize their lic. plans as I may try for one of those also.
PPPPPP, yep. P.S. Excellent Steve. Congrats. Holler if you want to go over things. I am pretty available, except for August. Three different trips in August where I will be out of touch about 1/2 the time.

WapitiBob

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
Bend, Orygun
Mine didn't line up with my scope clicks, the scale was off. I ended up just making my own. An avery label and a sharpie will work just fine if you aren't a cad guy.