Coyote hunting question.

fillntags

Jun 5, 2014
california
Hey guys so I have been coyote hunting out here in southern California and have always gone out with a shotgun but recently wanted to take out the rifle and heard that I can't hunt coyotes with a rifle in southern California only shotguns. Is there any truth to this? I have not seen anything saying I cant.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
It is my understanding that rifles can be used but you have to use non-lead bullets. I believe Hornady GMX, barnes tsx and ttsx, and any other all guilding metal bullets are allowed. There may be special regulations for specific areas but the regulations in general do not prohibit the use of rifles, just lead bullets. I have seen bullet manufacturers placing a "California safe" advertisement with some bullets and ammunition. I think this rule is driving the development of some of the new bullets we are seeing on the market like the TTSX.

bigshot

Very Active Member
Apr 14, 2011
Crestline, CA.
You can hunt in southern cali with a rifle and good ol lead bullets, u just have to know where your at. Right now as long as you are not in the no lead restriction and close to houses where a shotgun must be used you can hunt with a rifle and lead bullets. Bass Pro shops sell a shooting map that helps identify the legal shooting zones and what type of guns that may be used in southern California. Go to the rifle section in Bass Pro shops and ask for the map, they cost $10.00.