Coyote and bobcat decoys

Muleys 24/7

Veteran member
Jan 12, 2012
The Golden State
Do you use a decoy while calling predators? If so what kind?

I bought the (mojo critter) today, but I was going back and forth between that and (foxpros blackjack).

I'll have to get out in the feild a few times and then I'll post the results.

sjsmallfield

Veteran member
Feb 22, 2011
Jackson, CA
I have heard good about both the mojo and foxpro decoys. With that being said I have never personally used one. (I would still like to get one someday though) We just used a stuffed animal(a grey mouse) on a stick to get it up off the ground. It seems to take the focuss off of us and on to the decoy. It looks pretty weird walking into the field with a kids stuffed animal but it works.

packer58

Very Active Member
Aug 24, 2011
Loma Rica, Ca.
Back in the the old days we would tie a tail feather to a stick just above the sage brush with a short piece of string, the slightest breeze would give it action. That worked pretty well getting the attention away from the caller, remember back then, most guys used mouth calls and if youy were lucky you owned a battery operated cassette player with homemade rabbit music. Now I use a Fox Pro Fire Storm, place it out in front several yards and push a button. Getting the dieing rabbit away from the hunters eliminates the need for a decoy in most cases. Also I try to go further than most other guys so I'm less apt to be calling "educated coyotes". I think probably if your calling coyotes that have been squeeled at by every buddy and there brother.........you may need a decoy to help seal the deal on willey coyote.

Muleys 24/7

Veteran member
Jan 12, 2012
The Golden State
I've heard of and seen the feather in some coyot videos. I've never used a decoy, but a couple weeks ago I took a friend out that has never been before.... and I called two into about 150 yards and he didn't see them before they seen him movein around. We were busted and I was thinking if we had a spinning decoy about 40 to 50 yards away maybe the dogs would have been paying attention to that instead of him?

packer58

Very Active Member
Aug 24, 2011
Loma Rica, Ca.
Ya, thats the deal.....predators probably have the best eyesight in the woods, if your moving they will most likely pick you off. That's where a decoy or some kind of attractor comes in handy, the whole idea is to focus the animals attention away from the hunters with either sight or sound. If your settup works it will litarally give you some wiggle room. Another thing to think about when you take new guys call'n dogs, i usually get them set up in a good spot and tell them to look with thier eyes and not thier head, also tell them the area they are covering. Some guys don't like to get REALLY tucked in because it cuts down on thier visability,but if your sticking out like a sore thumb and squirming around you won't have to worry seeing any dogs. Just my 2 cents......

packer58

Very Active Member
Aug 24, 2011
Loma Rica, Ca.
My old man uses a fox pro call, near it he places a crow decoy on a stick and I think he has a feather on it as well, he's successful.
DR, Your dad remembers the days all we had was mouth calls and cassette decks...............back then we accually made most of our coyote hunt'n gear. All our snow gear was made from bed sheets and our head covering was a pillow case with a old pair of glass frames sewn in........worked good, problem was..............you looked like CASPER THE GHOST :cool:

Muleys 24/7

Veteran member
Jan 12, 2012
The Golden State
DR, Your dad remembers the days all we had was mouth calls and cassette decks...............back then we accually made most of our coyote hunt'n gear. All our snow gear was made from bed sheets and our head covering was a pillow case with a old pair of glass frames sewn in........worked good, problem was..............you looked like CASPER THE GHOST :cool:
talk about custom.....I havn't heard the old glasses in the pillow case yet:)

Drhorsepower

Veteran member
May 19, 2011
Reno, Nevada, United States
Haha. Yeah I have a couple rolls of speaker wire he used to keep at some stands he kept set up. He would have speakers and wire laid out 24/7 so he would go to his spot with his cassette tape that he recorded and go to town. . You guys put alot of effort into it back then that's for sure. I'm glad you guys made It easier for us. I'm sure there are a couple of sheets laying around as well!

HuntWYODon

Very Active Member
Dec 19, 2011
Kalifornia
I used to use a dying/screaming wood pecker tape with a remote speaker . Had some bobcats and a lot of fox and coyotes come into it. I think a dying rabbit is best for bobcat IMO Muleys my friend.