Cooking wild turkey?

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
We cubed them, marinated them, breaded them, and put them in the air fryer the other night. Pretty dang good!

CrimsonArrow

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
I will smoke the whole bird for 6 hours at 250. The breast meat is tender and super juicy, but the thighs will be undercooked. We will eat a couple meals of breast, and then simmer the rest to make ala king or soup. Or I'll debone the bird, strip and deep fry the breast, and smoke the legs, thighs, and wings for other recipes. I like to smoke wild turkey because it really doesn't have much natural flavor, and the smoke gives it some.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
My comments are geared toward one of our mountain birds, no farm fields to eat from, above 8k and running for their life all the time.
We breast out the bird into cutlets, flour, egg, then into Panko with salt and pepper. The cutlets are hand sized and rolled flat with a rolling pin before dredging. Lightly fried in a skillet with a little peanut oil. Not covered in oil, just enough in the pan to crisp. I always make a garlic, capers pasta with it then sprinkle a little fresh lemon juice on top.

Dark meat I bone out and make jerky. I use my my elk spices/cure for that. I have not yet got any recipe to make the dark meat edible in opinion. ....or just wasn't hungry enough.

TonySkyline

Nov 30, 2017
I deep fry em into almost chicken fingers. Only way to do wild turkey as it is so dry and definitely dont taste as good as the hormone and gmo injected store bought stuff, lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

BruinPoint

Sep 6, 2011
Colorado
Smoked dark meat carnitas tacos is one of the best wild game meals I've had. Roasting wild birds has always been a disappointment so I make Yeager schnitzel similar to the recipe on the MeatEater website with the white meat.

Find me on Instagram @970outdoors

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
i cut the breasts into nugget sizes and breaded and fried them, so freaking good! the rest of the meat did not turn out very well but the breasts were fantastic.

6mm Remington

Very Active Member
Mar 27, 2011
Western Montana
I've done two wild turkeys in my Masterbuilt electric smoker and I really liked how they turned out. No a wild bird will never be as tender as a domestic turkey, but the meat was very juicy and tasted fantastic. Apple is hard to go wrong with in the smoker for birds. Maple is also very good. It almost imparts a slightly sweet taste to the meat.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Here is a pretty good recipe, Brian did a great job with these nuggets.

[video=youtube_share;UGI8m88lZLw]https://youtu.be/UGI8m88lZLw[/video]

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Smoked dark meat carnitas tacos is one of the best wild game meals I've had. Roasting wild birds has always been a disappointment so I make Yeager schnitzel similar to the recipe on the MeatEater website with the white meat.

Please tell us more about the smoked dark meat carnitas please!

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
I saw one the other day I wanna try with some white meat.
1) Cover chunks/cubes in ranch
2) Add in a good amount of can jalapenos and the juice from them. More juice the better.
3) Let it sit a few hours.
4) Pull out each cube. Roll in breading, Panko etc etc
5) Fry
6) Grab a cold beer
7) Eat a piece of turkey followed with a swig of beer.
8) Repeat until beer or turkey is done.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
We tried to cube and fry my bird from last weekend.

It was tougher than a boiled owl...

Did the same thing the weekend before with my wife's was delicious. Mine was an old bird I guess.

Think I'm gonna start shooting jakes.....I got over 400" of beard on the wall I figure its time to start shooting the tender ones..lol

I also like to cook a turkey breast in the crockpot with a can of french onion soup and a can of cream of mushroom. Cook it on low until the internal temperature is safe. Then cut it off. If you overcook it (even in crockpot) they get very tough in my opinion.

Last edited:

brianboh

Jun 4, 2015
Powell, Wyoming
Its hard to beat fried turkey nuggets, I like to marinade it in Cajun injector "Cajun Butter", nuggets wrapped in bacon grilled with some BBQ sauce ( I wrap it in foil), now the legs and thighs are my favorite. Put them in a crock pot and the tendons pull right on out. Endless possibilities with this (turkey gumbo, turkey pot pit, turkey chili, turkey salad etc....)

BruinPoint

Sep 6, 2011
Colorado
Please tell us more about the smoked dark meat carnitas please!
I brined 3 birds worth of drumsticks and thighs in a brown sugar/salt brine overnight, then apple wood smoked at a pretty low temp (160-180? Can't remember for sure) for a couple hours, and finished them in a slow cooker with chicken stock until tender enough to shred with a fork. From there they went into a very hot cast iron pan with a little butter until crisp on one side, then onto a corn tortilla. The tacos had chopped spinach and cilantro, a little diced red onion, crumbled queso fresco, and homemade salsa.

I saved the smoky chicken stock for turkey (white meat) noodle soup with homemade egg noodles that was also pretty amazing.

BruinPoint

Sep 6, 2011
Colorado
A couple good dishes I've made with leftover Thanksgiving turkey are turkey tetrazinni with asparagus and turkey carbonara. I got a bird last week so I'm thinking about using half of it for each and seeing if they're any good with wild birds.