Conquest HD vs Used Swaro SLC

grizzly

Dec 3, 2013
UT
I am looking for some bino's for my wife. She has some Monarch 10x42's and they seem to have really lost clarity in the last few years.

We put the Cabelas Euro HD 10x42, Razor HD (10x42 & 12x50), and Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42 side-by-side and she liked the Razor 12x50 the best. We have been to two different stores since then to try under different light and she has switched to the Conquest. She feels the clarity is comparable in all of them, but likes the edge-to-edge, FOV, and brightness in the Conquest more than the Razors. There is nothing wrong with the Razors, her eyes just like the Conquests better.

We were about ready to pull the trigger on some Conquests for about $1,000, but I found I could get some used Swarovski SLC 10x42 for about the same price online.

I don't know how clarity, resolution, light-gathering, etc.. compare between the two. Are used non-HD SLC's better/worse than new Conquest HDs?

I'd love some help if any of you have insight on which way she should go.

Grizzly

Montana

Veteran member
Nov 3, 2011
Bitterroot Valley, MT.
Sorry I don't have any comparison on a side by side basis. I love my SLC's non HD. Crystal clear. They are about 4 years old (seems they change models around every few years). I did a side by side comparison at the time of purchase and went with swaro. My opinion would be depending on the age and condition of the swaro's if you didn't like them you could always resale them, as 1,000 would seem to be a good price, again assuming they are in excellent condition and relatively newer.

Flip side... if she found glass that she loved, that holds value in itself.

Good luck. Big bones.. good on you for the research:)

Montana

Veteran member
Nov 3, 2011
Bitterroot Valley, MT.
Sorry I don't have any comparison on a side by side basis. I love my SLC's non HD. Crystal clear. They are about 4 years old (seems they change models around every few years). I did a side by side comparison at the time of purchase and went with swaro. My opinion would be depending on the age and condition of the swaro's if you didn't like them you could always resale them, as 1,000 would seem to be a good price, again assuming they are in excellent condition and relatively newer.

Flip side... if she found glass that she loved, that holds value in itself.

Good luck. Big bones.. good on you for the research:)

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
I have Swarovski EL 10x42 that are about 12 years old and I have used alot and they are still just as clear as when they were new. I think the main difference between them and the SCL is the EL has a lighter housing. If the SCL's are in good shape I think they would be a better value and better glass. I think the Conquests are Zeiss's mid range bino's.