Colorado Unit 66 Mule Deer

MOHunter1962

Feb 25, 2020
Long time Eastman's member, new to the forum. Me and my son have accumulated enough points (9 +1) to draw Colorado unit 66 muzzle loader or 2nd rifle for mule deer. We plan on burning the points this year. I am trying to decide which is the best hunt, muzzle or 2nd rifle. I have never hunted 66 before. Any feedback on which hunt choice is best would be appreciated.
Thanks

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Welcome to the forum. I'd check migration and weather patterns the past few years along with success rates to assist in your understanding of making this decision. I'm sure others will chime in, but that's all I've got at the moment.
I'm assuming you've been collecting these points in anticipation of one of these particular seasons in this unit, correct...?

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I had applied for the area 66 MZL hunt after getting a lot of good information from a forum member who used to guide in that unit. I did a scouting trip in july, and spent the night at 12K'. I saw a number of bucks and quite a few moose. I did not draw the tag that year, even with 8 pts., and the following winter was a killer so I moved to another unit that I was able to draw with 10 deer points. If you end up drawing this tag, I have some detailed maps and notes; send a PM.

Reactions: Bonecollector

MOHunter1962

Feb 25, 2020
Welcome to the forum. I'd check migration and weather patterns the past few years along with success rates to assist in your understanding of making this decision. I'm sure others will chime in, but that's all I've got at the moment.
I'm assuming you've been collecting these points in anticipation of one of these particular seasons in this unit, correct...?
Thanks for the reply. I've been collecting the points with the goal of me and my son having a great hunt together or mule deer with either a ML or 2nd rifle as the points go through the roof for the 3rd and 4th seasons. Unit 66 was always on the short list as I've hunted Gunnison a few times in units 54 & 65. When going through the pluses and minuses, the ML will have less hunting pressure than 2nd rifle when one adds up all of the mule deer and elk hunts prior to 2nd rifle which is several hundred hunters. The plus for 2nd rifle is of course the possibility for weather, especially since the season is backed up a few days this year. That's my deli-ma, we're going, just trying to make a decision for ML or 2nd rifle.

Reactions: Bonecollector

Stevo

Mar 2, 2014
Texas
Thant's a great area with lots of deer. I haven't looked at success rates, but I'd personally go muzzy before they get more pressured from the rifle hunters. I saw lots of bucks there last September just days before the archery season was about to start. I'm planning a 4th season rifle in a neighboring unit this year and burn my 22 points then never accumulate that many again. Feel free to PM me if you want.

ShepDog

Nov 14, 2015
Wyoming Native
MOHUNTER I have NOT EVER hunted 66

I am in same boat with 10 point NR. Just moved to neighboring NM and a lot closer to 66 CO. Looking at success rates history it appears you have a real good chance at bagging a buck. Not sure what kind of buck you guys are expecting? In talking with friends and forums the quality of big bucks is present if you hunt hard and or get lucky. From what I gather most peeps leave with decent 23"_24" bucks and very pleased.
Weather can and will certainly play a factor. I like your comment on the season being a little later as well. 14K mountains are legit!
I wish you and your son the best of luck no matter which hunt you get.

Gerald

Dec 8, 2017
Colorado
So which tag did you guys get? If I had seen this post earlier in the year I would have told you to go for second season tag as I think hunting gets better later in the year when the weather comes in and pushes deer down lower and when they start getting into the rut.