Colorado Unit 43 Advice

TBA

Jun 12, 2018
Anyone willing to give advice for an early season high county Colorado unit 43 I would appreciate it. It will be my first trip to the area and I am not afraid to work for it. Any starting point or information would be great. Thanks in advanced.

Rob P

Mar 10, 2011
Never hunted in 43 but I've hunted the high country elsewhere above 12000'. Be prepared for elevation factor and afternoon thunderstorms. Get yourself a good tripod and a nice fluid head for glassing. I think if you google earth some country and find some basins that look like they'd hold mule deer you'd be on the right track. Are you solo? Are you backpacking in? what glass are you running? A lot of guys are tight lipped on easy to draw units for good reason. And the self appointed forum police don't take to kindly to first time posters asking for help AFTER drawing a tag. Maybe someone will throw you a bone but if not good luck.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Rob P it's called just common courtesy to the fellow sportsman versus the instant gratification minimal work put in sportsman that draws a tag, developes no friendships and expects info.
Sorry you feel that way about us self appointed forum police.

TBA welcome to Eastmans Forum. Good luck on your hunt and research.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
TBA check out the Colorado hunting atlas to narrow down where you want to go/start out at. Plan on spiking out, getting high to glass big areas to save your legs till you find em. Gonna have to access hunter pressure in there also and let other push them to you.

sheephunter

Jan 29, 2012
Colorado
While I refuse to give out specific unit advice on an open forum (an extended discussion took place here a while back amongst those of us who I guess are considered "forum police"), I will say that I have spent a little time in this unit both hunting as well as participating in bighorn sheep counts.

TBA-this is high, vast, and rugged country. The climb up into some of the upper basins you would want to get into is nothing short of brutal. People die in this unit almost every year, so you wanna use your head for more than a hat rack up in there. Don't know if you've ever done any truly high country hunting before but this unit has the potential to take the wind outta your sails.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Welcome TBA. Tell us about yourself and your current experience level as it may factor into what advice you are given.
Good luck and be safe out there.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I have hunted this unit several times for both deer and elk, and with multiple 14K peaks and steep approaches to same it is not for the faint of heart. Without horses, it is a multiple day pack in/out, and I try to limit myself to what I can pack a deer out in one day (as far as distance.) This is due to the weather at that time of the year....it's generally quite cool at night, and often in the 60's during the day. I packed both a boned out deer and my camp in one trip 7 years ago, and will never attempt that again. Four years ago, I packed out a boned out deer and had to return to get the camp out the next day (day in, day out.) Still, that pack out damn near killed me. Add in bow hunters, 175 muzzy hunters, ER hunters, and a bunch of late season hikers, and you will find the main access trails are very busy. I beat them by bush-wacking off the trail, but that has it's own risks. I'll be there with a tag this year, but will be very selective as I know what the after-math entails. Good luck

Rob P

Mar 10, 2011
I don’t mean to get everyone’s feelings hurt with my forum police comment. My point to the OP was that you can’t just make your first post about “hey I got this tag, where do I go?” ESPECIALLY on an easy to draw unit. I completely accept that that’s how it should be.

TBA

Jun 12, 2018
Thanks all for the help and your time. Appreciate it all. I have been a longtime member of Eastman’s but never used the forum. I don’t mind working hard on a hunt and never expect for anyone to put an X on the map the map for me. I understand how much work goes into a hunt. Again I do appreciate all the information you have provided and hopefully I can return the favor one day.

ILbowhunter17

Dec 23, 2012
you better have stock its steep and will burn you out. I have hunted there and found game but very steep and big country. With a lot of pressure in spots. You will need to move around until you fine where theres less pressure.