Colorado nonresident draw

JHic

Jan 5, 2017
Texas
Hello all!
This will be my first year in attempting to draw a elk 2nd, 3rd or 4th choice in Colorado. Usually every year I put in for preference points and just buy an OTC archery or rifle but this year we are attempting a 4th season rifle hunt. From my understanding, I can put in the preference point code on my first choice and then put my 2nd-4th choice allowing me to get a point and hopefully draw on the others?

Also, looking at the draw results from last year, I see that some units have "Nonresident Cap (up to)" and then a number... We will say the number is 2... In the first draw 2 tags were given to NR, 2nd draw 3 tags were given, 3rd draw 2 tags were given and 4th draw 1 tag was given... That is a total of 8 tags for NR with a Nonresident Cap (up to) 2. Can someone please help with understanding this please?
Thank you!

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
You are correct about getting a point as first choice, then drawing a 2nd, or lesser choice. Just remember to put the preference point code as first choice.

Sometimes there are fewer resident applications than the tag quota. I believe that the unapplied for tags go into the NR pool.