COLORADO MULE DEER

GEO

Aug 16, 2018
TEXAS
I have 10 Colorado mule deer points. I was hoping to draw a decent 3rd season hunt. I was looking at units 40 and 22. Would either of these be good to hunt with a good chance to draw. I'm 75 yrs old and still getting around fairly well, but need more moderate terrain. I'd appreciate any help. Thanks

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Either unit is fairly good however unit 40 has a lot of private and unless you have access to it you may be limited on where you go.

22 would be a better unit in my opinion, a lot more BLM land with good access.

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
I had my dad out at 79+ last season - the cold got to him a bit but he got around pretty well but we were in pretty flat terrain.

If you can get to a spot to glass from, you will have a great trip - see the deer and hopefully find one you like where you can get to it.

Have a great trip.

GEO

Aug 16, 2018
TEXAS
Thank both of you for the replies. JimP i see you live up in that part of the country. Have you hunted unit 22? I have hunted unit 21 twice in the last 10 years in 2nd season. First time missed a good buck on Texas mt., two years ago it was really dry and didn't see many deer. I was wondering if 22 had a lot of oil field roads like 21, also if the deer numbers are better in 22

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
21 is a totally migration hunt. If you go up there in the summer or early archery hunt odds are you will not find a deer in 90% of the unit. Last year the migration started late and the deer just were not down. I had planned on taking my brother in law over to the Utah side of the unit but he said that he was done hunting, luckily we found the buck that he shot on Sunday evening, so they were starting to come down out of the higher country.

I have never hunted 22 other than for rabbits 30 or so years ago. But like 21 there are a number of oil field roads in it and I don't believe that access would be a problem. If the number of vehicles going into 22 from 21 were a indication the hunting was pretty good, not sure about the finding. 22 is going to have more high country than 21 so that alone should make it better earlier. There is a member on here that hunted 22 last year so hopefully he will chime in.

Hiker

GEO,

22 can be a good hunt for deer. IMO the later the better, as the rut really gets the boys moving. We hunted it a couple of times over the last 10 years during second season. I think we filled all our tags. The bucks we killed were average to small. We had 3-4 first time hunters with us, so the goal was to have fun and have them punch their tags. I have heard that the oil field company has closed some of the access roads over the last couple of years.

GEO

Aug 16, 2018
TEXAS
Thanks Hiker, we drove around some in 22 two years ago when I hunted 21. I noticed some land and roads closed then. I applied for 3rd season with 10 points. I'm afraid point creep may get me. I was hoping the rut might be starting also quality better. Did you hunt from the west side or east side? How was terrain? Was access a problem? I appreciate the help.