Colorado hiking in scentlok

Izeith

Oct 6, 2021
So I just purchased a whole loadout of late season scentlok gear for my wife and a loadout for myself as well. We will be elk hunting green mountain near Gardner,CO. In November. After buying it all I Then went to the store a few days later looking for boots. The salesperson said scentlok gear is more for treestand hunting and is terrible for hiking.

Does anyone have any experience with scentlok gear for elk hunting/day hiking. Do I need to send back and buy something else? Or was the salesperson over reacting. The store was sheels and they sold scentlok there too.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Can't help you with hiking in it but hunting elk in November you shouldn't be too worried about scent. Especially during a rifle hunt where your shots are going to mostly be 100 yards +

If you are worried about hiking in it put it on and go for a long walk and see how it feels.

Reactions: kidoggy

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
never owned any but as jimp said , try it out and see how you like it.

out of curiousity what did the salesman suggest you buy??

personally I prefer to hunt naked, which is how the sausquatch lore got started. ;)

Izeith

Oct 6, 2021
Can't help you with hiking in it but hunting elk in November you shouldn't be too worried about scent. Especially during a rifle hunt where your shots are going to mostly be 100 yards +

If you are worried about hiking in it put it on and go for a long walk and see how it feels.
I'm not worried about scent which is why I never said I was worried about scent. We have bows as well. But are not bowhunting this go around.l, so wasn't looking for advice on scent. Just on the quality of the clothing during hiking mountains for Elk while rifle hunting. Also the gear shipped today so have not had a chance to get it in and go walking or hiking in it. Which is also why I'm asking if others have and their opinions on the brand for hiking and mountain-y activity.
I do understand during this specific rifle hunt that I don't need to be overly concerned with scent though.

Izeith

Oct 6, 2021
never owned any but as jimp said , try it out and see how you like it.

out of curiousity what did the salesman suggest you buy??

personally I prefer to hunt naked, which is how the sausquatch lore got started. ;)
Yeah I'll try it as soon as I get it in. It shipped today so don't have it. The salesman suggested Sitka of course.. however we just left the same Scheels today and the dept. Manager said scentlok would be more then fine. And her salesperson from yesterday is full of crap. Lol. Still would like opinions from ppl who have tried it tho.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I have tried some of the high priced hunting brands such as kuiu ,kryptek, skre and such. while their pants are ok , I gotta say I was never real impressed. when factoring in the cost I don't believe any of them to be worth the cost . I prefer to stick with my wranglers or duluth pants which can be had for a third the cost.

elk are dumb critters . dang near as dumb as humans. they don't care what we wear .

Reactions: JimP

Finsandtines

Very Active Member
Jun 16, 2015
Florida
Haven’t done a ton of elk hunting but I am a scent lok fan. I have Kuiu as well but Use merino base layers anyway so either would be fine for me. Nothing wrong with some scent lok as outer layer. When tree stand hunting I go light base with Kuiu down for warmth then mid season scent lok over It. More than one way to dress so really a matter of preference and confidence IMO.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
I have just about zero experience with Scentlock, but as suggested I would take it for a walk and see. The biggest issue is probably going to honestly be breathability.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I wear the lightest and quietest gear I can.

Trying to hide your scent form an elks nose is a battle you will never win. Thank god. Or man would likely kill them all to extinction....

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
best thing for hiding scent is to find a nice fresh pile of elk crap and rub it all over your body. for extreme hunters , pop a few pellets in your mouth and roll them around for a bit, then spit em out . you don't have to swallow them , unless you are a "real" hunter who is worried about fart stink. ;) :rolleyes:🤪

personally I would rather eat tag soup but I don't judge.

scent lock and camo may possibly give you a bit more of an edge but neither are really necessary.