Colorado Flat Tops / WMU 24

Timr245

Very Active Member
Jul 21, 2016
Northcentral PA
Hi all! New member here from the east coast planning an elk hunt to the Flat Tops area of Colorado, WMU 24 & in particular the Trapper's Lake area. Just looking for any advice/insight on this area, elk population, huntability, which season may be best etc. All advice or precautions welcome, Thanks to all in advance!!!

bowrunner

Oct 13, 2015
Illinois
Your best bet before you get too far is to introduce yourself in the new member section. Im sure you will have a good time. I would suggest knowing the area from satellite photos and topo maps as well as possible. Its very easy to not be lost, but be kinda lost.

gypsumreaper

Mar 13, 2014
I prefer m80's when fishing from a boat, but from shore dynamite works better it usually pitches them to the shore for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I have to admit that I have used a 44mag, shotgun, and some black powder in a salmon egg jar.

Mountain10mm

Jun 8, 2016
Colorado
2941 elk in a 20.2 mile radius around the geographic center of the Trappers Lake. 876 are bulls. I know of a 6x6 bull (300+) at GPS coordinates 39.984194 107.217427. He will be broadside about a 46 yards when you walk up the trail.

All kidding aside, I've hunted the area just east of there for years. (Sheep Mountain, Derby Peak, Flat Top Mtn.) It's a rugged area and it's full of guides and hunters. Lots of elk too, but my experience is that elk were always randomly scattered. They never seemed to be in a herd or follow any sort of routine. Heard stories the ranchers would herd all the elk to the private land at the bottom of the valley, but it was always in the form of hearsay. One thing I can say for sure is it's one of the most scenic elk hunting area's I've ever been too in Colorado. Mountain lakes, streams, ponds, aspens, snow covered peaks. Gorgeous area.

Last edited:

Timr245

Very Active Member
Jul 21, 2016
Northcentral PA
Thanks again already for the input guys. Also I forgot to add that I plan to do the 2nd season rifle hunt. I have heard the negative regarding the area being over-run with outfitters/hunters. I've have just begun to research this endeavor so I'm open to suggestions for other areas etc. Not looking for anyone to divulge their honey hole, there's just only so much a guy can learn about an area 3/4 of the way acrossed the country with no real ability to get feet on the land in advance.

Last edited:

kstitz

Jan 24, 2012
Colorado
I have hunted the Trapper Lake Himes Peak area every year since 2004 except for 2015. I personally will not hunt 2nd season anymore. The first season is a draw but they give away co many tags that even first season is pretty crowded. There is only 2 days between 1st & second season. By the second season the elk have seen significant pressure and if the weather is warm they become very hard to find. That being said if it gets cold and there is a significant snow event that changes everything.

The second seasons is 9 days but 80% of the hunters are gone after 5 days. Because there is 5 days between the 2nd & 3rd season the elk get a break and start to relax a little. In 2014 there were 2 other camps at Himes peak 3rd season and by the 4th day we were the only ones there.

I have a deer tag third season for unit 12, 13, 23 & 24 and will be buying a left over cow and over the counter bull as well.

MtnBuck

Apr 4, 2016
Aurora, Colorado
I hunted the Flat Tops blind (no scouting) many years ago and was lucky enough to figure it out after walking miles and miles for four days. For your first visit I would go over your topos and find some isolated areas you want to check out. Concentrate on 10,000 feet plus, unless there is significant snow. Then arrive a few days before the season starts and check those areas for sign and put way points in your gps. Set up mornings (way before light) and evenings on the best spots. During the day if you don't want to sit you can hunt the dark woods , but they are very thick with dead fall in many areas. It's probably better to glass from good vantage points. Chat with every hunter and guide you see. Bottom line, if you find good remote areas with sign and set up on them well before prime hunting hours you'll have a great chance. If you stay close to the roads your chances drop greatly. Also watch the weather reports closely. It can easily drop 1-2 feet over night which can make it tough to get out. If it snows watch for tracks showing migration to lower levels.

Last edited:

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
2941 elk in a 20.2 mile radius around the geographic center of the Trappers Lake. 876 are bulls. I know of a 6x6 bull (300+) at GPS coordinates 39.984194 107.217427. He will be broadside about a 46 yards when you walk up the trail.

All kidding aside, I've hunted the area just east of there for years. (Sheep Mountain, Derby Peak, Flat Top Mtn.) It's a rugged area and it's full of guides and hunters. Lots of elk too, but my experience is that elk were always randomly scattered. They never seemed to be in a herd or follow any sort of routine. Heard stories the ranchers would herd all the elk to the private land at the bottom of the valley, but it was always in the form of hearsay. One thing I can say for sure is it's one of the most scenic elk hunting area's I've ever been too in Colorado. Mountain lakes, streams, ponds, aspens, snow covered peaks. Gorgeous area.
I didn't know there was elk in China?

Timr245

Very Active Member
Jul 21, 2016
Northcentral PA
Great info here guys, thanks! My plan was to stay at the Trapper's lake cabins due to this being our first hunting trip out west, sort of get the feel of the terrain, etc also due to it's great proximity to the area we planned to hunt. That said, they close for the year on October 29 or 30th so if we planned 3rd season we would need to change our accomodations. Figured a tent camp may not be the best idea for 1st timers, alrhough we are all well-versed in the outdoors. Also being unsure of the local weather in November I wasn't sure if we would be increasing the risk of major snowfall that may keep us from hunting. We're looking to concentrate on having an enjoyable time while still doing the hunting itself DIY.

rackpack

Mar 17, 2014
Festus, MO
I've hunted the area and agree with mountain10mm. It's beautiful up there. Elk seem to be scattered and very pressured. I would say stay far off the trails and find the steep canyons. Good luck and take time to look around and enjoy the hunt.

kstitz

Jan 24, 2012
Colorado
If you go second season, pray fore weather and do no kill yourself the first few days as the hunting will be best the last 3 days of the season when 80% of the hunters are gone.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
If you go second season, pray fore weather and do no kill yourself the first few days as the hunting will be best the last 3 days of the season when 80% of the hunters are gone.
What he said. Don't get frustrated with the numbers of hunters you are gonna see at the start and stick it out to the end. good luck