Colorado elk, units 501, 67

grok34

Feb 21, 2011
I have one preference point and am wanting to a do a 2nd season rifle hunt in Colorado this October. I have never hunted there (I'm an Idaho resident) and am looking for a unit with a lot of public land, I'd like a find a unit I can go to every 2-3 years for archery or rifle hunt and really learn the country. I am a backpack hunter and like to hike back into the backcountry away from the crowds. I am more into the experience, the meat, and being outdoors than trophy hunting. Right now I am looking at units 501 and 67. Any suggestions or comments about these units would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Tim

walleyed

Feb 22, 2011
Central MN
I have looked into 501 a little bit. What I have found out is its rugged country with elk scattered high during archery season with them wintering in the west central part of zone around Crawford. It is tough but a fair chance at a fair bull. There is a muzzy season also that may be appealing. My brother lives in Denver so he is going to check it out this spring.

grok34

Feb 21, 2011
Rugged country is what I'm after. Because of some military obligations I can only make the 2nd rifle season this year although I prefer archery so I'm wondering what the high country will be like that time of year. Obviously can't predict the weather but curious as to what its usually like last week of october in that area.
Thanks for info walleyed I appreciate it

graybird

Feb 22, 2011
Colorado
My buddies and I hunt 501 every year. It has some very rugged country and some country not so rugged, which is where you'll find most of the crowds. Be prepared to use the packframe and you'll find your animals. As little as 1-2 miles off the main roads and you'll vertually be by yourself.

grok34

Feb 21, 2011
Graybird I was wondering if 2nd rifle season if you can usually(i know you can't predict the weather exactly) still get up high and off the roads or does the snow push everything down by then? I'd like to archery or 1st rifle hunt it but because of military obligations I won't be able to go until 2nd season.
Thanks again

graybird

Feb 22, 2011
Colorado
grok34,

During the 2nd season, there shouldn't be any problem getting away from the crowds and I would think that snow shouldn't bother you too much. As you know, Mother Nature always likes to throw a wrench into the gears every now and then, but you never know when. I'm lucky that a couple of the guys I hunt with have been hunting this unit for numerous years; therefore, we're pretty dialed in to where we need to be, within reason from year to year.

However, I was talking to the resident game warden and he mentioned a large herd (~200-300 head) on the western boundary of the unit, which has some steep country. We've never hunted there but I would guess with a little hard work, you could probably get dialed in within a few weeks of scouting and some hard hunting.

Good luck!

grok34

Feb 21, 2011
Unfortunately my scouting will be limited to map work, googlearth, phone calls and forums like these. I just got my Pike and Gunnison national forest maps in the mail to help me narrow down some places I might try. Calling game wardens and local biologists is my next step. So far from early impressions the Lost Creek Wilderness area looks like it might be what I'm looking for if I got with 501. A place to get away from the crowds and not compete with 4 wheelers.
Thanks again for the info Graybird, if you ever come to Idaho to hunt let me know I'll try and repay the favor!

xtreme

Very Active Member
Feb 25, 2011
Searcy, Arkansas 72143
Ditto, do you see any good mule deer while fishing in unit 67. I plan to draw third season. I have a place near Antonito and poachers have hurt our good deer that were nearby.

grok34

Feb 21, 2011
Dito got myself a Gunnison basin map I located pauline creek. Looks like it source goes into the La Garita wildnerss have you fished in the wildnerness area or outside of it? I like wilderness area cuts down on crowds and vehicle traffic. Looks like forest service roads 790 and 794 will get you in that pauline creek area(if im reading map right). Do those roads generally stay open in late October?
Thanks

dito

Feb 22, 2011
Alamosa, CO
Grok,

I will try and post some pics of the elk we saw in the canyon and of one mule deer we saw. If they don't show up with my post just pm me your email addy and I'll send em. The elk was during the run and I can't remember when the deer was. I would think that the roads would stay open in late Oct. but I am not certain. I have not fished in the wilderness area.sept29 003.jpgsept14 008.jpg

dito

Feb 22, 2011
Alamosa, CO
Ditto, do you see any good mule deer while fishing in unit 67. I plan to draw third season. I have a place near Antonito and poachers have hurt our good deer that were nearby.
See the pic I posted. I am thinking of either 82 3rd season or bow 83. I am in Alamosa.

grok34

Feb 21, 2011
those are some great animals! I decided since I couldn't hunt archery or first rifle this year because of work I would just get another preference point this year and hunt there or 66 next year probably first rifle for elk keep building up deer points. Thanks for pics and info!
Grok

adamwipp

Aug 9, 2011
Lodi wi
Unit 67

Im going to be hunting unit 67 this year with my dad and brother, this year during the muzzy season. From what ive gathered there are a fare amount of elk in unit, and its almost all public. There are lots of roads and four weeler trails:mad:. But there is also a big public wilderness area. You will need a few pre-points to draw a bow tag in 67!