Colorado DIY

lazarus

Dec 22, 2013
Not sure if it’s been asked before but for many years I have been in Wyoming for elk, deer and antelope. Don’t have enough points for hunt again yet so I thought about a DIY in Colorado that preferably doesn’t look like a pumpkin patch. Any ideas? Or general areas? Hoping for a good area that’s over the counter tag purchase. Thanks

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Other than leftover tags, the only OTC tags you can get are elk 2nd & 3rd season. Unfortunately most are really popular and the orange army runs rampant. I don't hunt those seasons. Build points like in Wyoming. If you haven't ever been to Colorado, you could buy an OTC tag and use it as a learning experience.

Reactions: JimP

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Any OTC unit in any state is going to look like a pumpkin patch and Colorado isn't any different. Also during Colorado's hunts you will have deer hunts and anterless hunts going on at the same time.

Reactions: Colorado Cowboy

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
You can get a muzzle-loader elk or deer tag in many areas that don't require a lot of points, especially if you just apply for a cow tag. It will get you out hunting at least. You can look at all the stats on the Parks & Wildlife website and see what the odds are to draw (with your pts.) and how many other type hunts are going on at the same time.

Reactions: Colorado Cowboy

Bullcan

Oct 6, 2016
I have archery hunted CO a few times on an OTC tag and the only other hunters I have run into were deer hunters. I have always went out after the muzzleloader seasons.