Colorado above timberline 48/481/56/561 early rifle buck tag

bigpapacow

Mar 8, 2011
Eagle Mountain, UT
Well, i was kicking around some late season colorado hunts but ended up getting my wife's blessing to take a week in september for a high country buck hunt. Thats a big deal since we will be welcoming our 3rd child within a month! She is a trooper and I am lucky to have her.

I ended up cashing in 6 points on the above timberline 48/481/56/561 early rifle buck tag. I have been doing my maps/google earth research and talking to biologists, wardens, etc to settle on some places to check out. I will be headed out there twice to scout before the hunt. Probably late july and again in last august or early september. It looks to have no shortage of high country to the point it is a bit tough trying to narrow it down some! Here in utah our mountain ranges I usually hunt have a miniscule amount of country above timberline compared to colorado! It will be a fun challange as the hunt has to take place entirely above timberline.

If anyone has any experience in the units and would care to share, i would love to hear it. Either areas to check out or to avoid or just any stories you might like to share.

Thanks!

sodaksooner

Jul 7, 2014
Saw a few on the very South end of 48 a couple of yrs ago. Pm me if u want some more details. We are building points to hunt 48 but several years away at this point.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Roamer

Aug 15, 2014
Dillon Colo
When I was goat hunting a couple of years ago we saw 4 bucks 2 of them very nice up sayer gulch and 1 dandy the head of church. If u want more info let me know. Good luck and have fun

bigpapacow

Mar 8, 2011
Eagle Mountain, UT
I will let you know how it goes. I made it out to scout and saw some deer. Probably only 2 so far that I think might be tempting. Lots of elk running around out there too.

Last edited: