Colorado 21 quota changes

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Interesting!

Deer applications didn't skyrocket like I anticipated with the later rifle seasons.

Thanks for posting.

D_Dubya

Aug 8, 2012
South Texas
Interesting!

Deer applications didn't skyrocket like I anticipated with the later rifle seasons.

Thanks for posting.
This isn’t applications, it’s tag quotas - how many tags will be available to draw. Application #’s will be through the roof.

edit: I’m wrong - I see the app #’s now

COLOelkman

Mar 12, 2011
Lakewood, CO
Numbers posted can be a little deceiving since they don't post the details of tags for each season. An example is that the area I applied show the same number of total tags (buck deer), however a friend that applied in the same unit called CPW today and was told they cut both 3rd and 4th season tags but increased 2nd season tags to cut down on the harvest statistically considering the late dates. I applied 3rd season so the very limited number of tags last year will be even less this year so not very confident I'll draw even though I had 4 more pts than needed last year. Might see some crazy jumps in points required this year base on all the posts I've read on several forums!

D_Dubya

Aug 8, 2012
South Texas
Some pretty significant tag increases in the Gunnison basin. Surprised at the jump in antlerless tag #’s but I guess they want to shoot them before the next bad winter freezes them. When I was up there last summer it sure didn’t seem like there were nearly as many deer as back in 2016 before the significant winter kill of ‘16-‘17. But I’m no biologist. Anyhow, I hope the increases increase my chance at pullling a 2nd season deer tag.

COLOelkman

Mar 12, 2011
Lakewood, CO
I wonder if they’ll have season quotas out soon?
Wish they posted quotas before the draw as I know they typically have them in the works for quite a while before the draws. Before Covid, if you went to the January meetings, you could get a list of their proposals to see at least what's being proposed. Not sure when the Commission actually finalizes things but I assume after their spring field count but the early numbers can at least give you an idea of what they are thinking. The tag I put in for was supposedly cut (buck deer) back and woulda been nice to know ahead of time.