Cody-Area Camping

grizzly

Dec 3, 2013
UT
My wife and I have never been up to GYE to see wolves and grizzlies and figured my brothers Unit 78 Antelope tag was a good reason to come up in the next week or two and make a combo-trip.

We're going to pull our camper and would love advice on where to camp around Cody. All my searches online lead to KOA-style campgrounds, but we don't need hook-ups and like our privacy more than the ultra-organized campgrounds provide.

Any advice on where to park the trailer for a few days while we hunt for antelope and drive into the park would be awesome. We're hoping to drive the Beartooth Hwy and see Lamar Valley but if I should do something different, I'm always open to advice. Thx for the help.

Vikingload

Jun 12, 2015
Powell WY
Yeah the area has a good amount of pull in spots on the public land. If the campgrounds are open there are plenty of forest service ones up the north fork. Beartooth Hwy is awesome, but strictly weather dependent. The wife and I like to drive to Red Lodge and then go up the Hwy vs going down it. Hope that it is open when you come out this way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matthoek21

Veteran member
Mar 18, 2011
Peachtree City, GA.
Go in early and get to northeast corner of the park on the way to Cooke City. There is a wolf pack that hangs around that area. Usually can be spotted early and late. Another predictable pack is in the Hayden Valley. That's where we saw both a griz and a wolf pack. Good luck. Let us know.

grizzly

Dec 3, 2013
UT
Thx for the advice... both on camping spots and where to see wolves and bears. I knew this was the place to ask for guys willing to help out.

mnhoundman

Veteran member
Oct 25, 2012
Minnesota
Also if you take the chief Joseph highway towards Cooke city, when you get to the bottom to sunlight basin you can take sunlight road, there are moose in the river bottom and we saw grizzlies back towards trail Creek almost every day. We're going back deer hunting again this year, beautiful country back there. Also camp site's there to, but quite steep going back out.