Co gmu 67

Collins

Feb 8, 2016
Green Bay, WI
I've been researching units, as a nonresident, and would like to get any general info on unit 67. It looks as if there is a real low quota of tags, there were only about 120 total hunters in this unit last September, archery and muzzleloader combined. I may have enough points to draw this tag for muzzleloader. I've never stepped foot in this part of Colorado, but unit 67 sits on the north side of unit 76. I've selected a couple areas in the unit that may be worth looking into if I go. Has anybody ever hunted 67? I'm just curious as to why there were so few tags allotted the last few years. According to the state, the elk population is pretty strong. I'd be spending 11 points to get in here. Anybody have any recent experience here?

cmbbulldog

Jul 18, 2011
I wouldn't spend 11 points for 67. If you do, go high!

Shoot me a PM if you decide on that unit and I can get you started at least... but there are better places to burn 11 points.

troybackman

Apr 17, 2015
Mn
Spent a week in 67 last yr deer hunting 2nd rifle season. We hunted many different areas and never seen a elk. I'm sure they were all hiding at the very top of sawtooth but even the guys with horses were struggling. Could be much different earlier but I wouldnt burn any points for unit 67.

packmule

Veteran member
Jun 21, 2011
TX
67 is a "just find a legal bull" unit with a handful of good ones sprinkled in. Not sure it's worth the 11pts.

nwwa huner

Jun 29, 2011
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455241759.102073.jpg
This is my unit 67 bull I think from 2008. It was a tough but fun hunt. 300" bulls are top end with a small chance of larger to 330. A 5 or 6 point is good for this unit. It was a fun hunt but it just depends what you are looking for.

Red Raider

Oct 1, 2013
Midland, Texas
QUOTE=packmule;173762]67 is a "just find a legal bull" unit with a handful of good ones sprinkled in. Not sure it's worth the 11pts.[/QUOTE]

Hey Pack, That's what I would be looking at in 66 as well as far as bull quality right?

JPSeveland

Jun 8, 2014
Cheyenne Wyoming
66 and 67 are about the same if you shoot a 300 inch bull your lucky. They are great areas and alot of fun 66 is a bit better in my opinion but 90% of the elk there are small 6x6 and 5x5 even when i guided there we shot alot of elk and the best bull was 318. I would not burn 11 points for these areas. Its a good area for say 1st rifle were it only take a point or two. I would suggest looing into areas like 49,76,40 These areas hold more consistant bulls and bigger bulls. If you are wanting to do a first rifle hunt i would wait 1 more year just do to the fact that the seasons are later this year.

Collins

Feb 8, 2016
Green Bay, WI
Thanks guys, I am willing to hunt with any weapon. Just trying to decide on the best hunt for 11 points. I'm not looking for a specific bull or anything. The only hunt that makes me nervous is the first rifle. I'll be feeling the pressure to make it happen early given it's only a 5 day hunt. But it seems like most guys with experience in this unit advise me not to burn all my points on that area.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Collins,
Think of it this way......4 days of glassing and a 5 day shooting period....don't be afraid of first rifle....just give your self time on the front end to glass em up, heck even pattern them.

CoHiCntry

Veteran member
Mar 31, 2011
Colorado Mountains
Thanks guys, I am willing to hunt with any weapon. Just trying to decide on the best hunt for 11 points. I'm not looking for a specific bull or anything. The only hunt that makes me nervous is the first rifle. I'll be feeling the pressure to make it happen early given it's only a 5 day hunt. But it seems like most guys with experience in this unit advise me not to burn all my points on that area.
Totally understand your reservations of a 5 day only season, but... every time I've hunted first season it has been a VERY good hunt. I've never hunted the unit your looking at though, I'm just speaking in general about the first season in Colorado compared to other seasons.