CO Elk

mconway951

Jan 25, 2012
Hey guys got some buddies that live in CO i am gonna go do an elk hunt with them this fall. They are down around Craig hopefully we get into some good hunting. They arent much on getting off the road to far like i am so im gonna try and get out and hike a ways and see if i can find a legal bull since it will be my first bull. Anybody ever hunt down that way? Any idea how the winter is treating the animals around there?

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
3rd season is an OTC bull tag, so no problem with points. There is lots of BLM land there and also LOTS of roads. I'll probably be there for antelope season, if I get my tag which is borderline for points. The area gets lots of migration on elk when the snow gets there in the winter. I don't know a lot about the western part of the unit.

elkhunter1988

Feb 4, 2012
Montrose, Co
I was up in unit three last year hunting antelope with my dad and we didn't see that many elk but the ones that we saw were really nice. Probably in the 310-320 range

COElkFreak

Jun 21, 2011
Used to work with a guy that hunted up there around that timne and while he was on private land he always told me it was good we got some good early snow to bring them down from the mountains. I hunt in unit 4...can be a oot of elk and with that there can be alot of hunters also.