Clothing Question

labman

Feb 3, 2012
Oklahoma City, OK
I am doing my first DIY CO backcountry Elk hunt and need some clothing advice. I am going late bow if I draw first rifle or if not drawn OTC 2nd rifle. I am 6'2" 250 in decent condition training my butt off to get prepared. I was wondering about clothing options. I am going to have to buy a layering system to accommodate the needs of changing conditions. What would you recommend for these seasons as far as what layers and particular companies? Thanks for your help!!

JBudd

Jul 1, 2012
You cannot go wrong with any of the sitka items, basically all of your tier 1 brands you read about are awesome. I use a combination of brands, but this is what I wear on the coldest days then I'll strip and combine layers as necessary.

Top: Under armour mid weight compression top
Duafold moisture wicking tshirt
first lite merino 1/4 zip
kryptek 1/2 zip hoodie
kryptek cadog jacket
russel rain jacket
bottom: under armour lightweight compression bottom
first lite merino bottom
krytek cadog pants
russel rain pants

I almost never wear all of that except maybe the top but that's my system

crumy

Jun 19, 2011
Laramie, WY
Labman,

I have lived out here in Southeast wyoming for the last 4 going on 5 years. I came from Ohio so I faced the same issue you are facing. I needed clothes and Mossy Oak breakup just didn't cut it out here :cool: I was reading all the forums, and talking to people out here. but I decided to wait a year and see what I needed. I like to go back in for 2-3 days hunting into the wilderness areas or at least 3 miles back from the nearest road. You don't seem to find as many hunters that way. I honestly didn't want to spend $200 bucks for a pair of pants. After being the first year I sort of figured what would work with me, and this has served me well.

Nice base layer - went from cheap sportsman warehouse thermals to merino wool
Pants & Shirts - I like Predator camo pants. Great camo, not real expensive and works.
I use a Vest or fleece pullover for extra warmth and carry a cabelas oufitter coat for when it gets real cold or if I am sitting glassing. Get the one with wind shield

If you are set are a "system" and wanted top of the line, I think KUIU is the best. If you want good without breaking the bank. Russell.

Now I know there are guys on here who will call me crazy and swear by the systems. I guess it boils down to what you will feel comfortable with.

RUTTIN

Veteran member
Feb 26, 2011
Kamas, Utah
Core4Element, Get a pair of Element pants, Element jacket, Merino wool top and bottom, Assault shirt, And the Torrent rain gear and you will be able to layer any way you need. It won't break the bank either if you get it on Camofire.com. Great mountain hunting clothing that will last.

Shaun

Jan 7, 2012
Core4Element, Get a pair of Element pants, Element jacket, Merino wool top and bottom, Assault shirt, And the Torrent rain gear and you will be able to layer any way you need. It won't break the bank either if you get it on Camofire.com. Great mountain hunting clothing that will last.

X2 even though I dont own any I know you can get them cheap on Camo Fireand they are quality. I personally wear sitka and kuiu and will probably buy kryptic this year depending. I know Russell outdoors is blowing out there APX series soo cheap it will make you sick

squirrelduster

Apr 26, 2011
Sebastopol, Ca
Definitely use some kind of merino wool base layer. I have the Kuiu stuff and it works great. The big thing is layers. I still have my big outfitter coat from Cabelas but don't seem to use it much unless its super cold.
Get the best you can afford and you won't be sorry.

RUTTIN

Veteran member
Feb 26, 2011
Kamas, Utah
The reason Russell is blowing everything out is they are going our of business, might be hard to find the rest of the layering pieces you might need, and what if you have problems with the clothing and there is no one there for customer service.

Murdy

Dec 13, 2011
North-Central Illinois
The reason Russell is blowing everything out is they are going our of business, might be hard to find the rest of the layering pieces you might need, and what if you have problems with the clothing and there is no one there for customer service.
All true, but for what some of it is going for, you could pay a tailor to fix whatever issues you had, and still come out ahead. It's been running in the neighborhood of 70% off.