Central Wyoming permit Deer Units help

ShepDog

Nov 14, 2015
Wyoming Native
My friend and I have 7 points for deer. That puts us on the edge for 89. Looking for some insight and recommendations in Central Wyoming. I see there is a LOT of walk in properties to access. We are still young at heart and have no problem hiking 7-10 miles a day. Anybody been on these walk in places? Are they worth it? How many deer can one expect to see daily? How big are the average bucks?
We also have antelope points. Would this be a good combo area as well? Have not heard much about unit 34. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Triple BB

Jun 22, 2013
Wyoming
Saw a 200 - 210 non typical out there last Tuesday. He was an easy 31 - 32" wide with 20" of trash. One of the biggest deer I've ever seen. I've also seen lots of bucks 170 and under, but nothing in between. I'd check the hunter management reg's in 89 as I'm not sure which of those ranches let you hunt deer. Down side is, they're all open to elk hunting. That means you might be walking in 7 - 10 miles to compete with 500 elk hunters.

Hunted in 34 the previous two years for elk. Best Deer I saw was 180 plus a few in the 170 range.

I hunt G every year and would take a G tag over 89 or 34 hands down. That's assuming I had access to horses...

ShepDog

Nov 14, 2015
Wyoming Native
Figured as much. Hard to burn that many points on a General tag. Honestly looking for 180 plus. I would eat the tag before shooting something less. You don't get the big one if you shoot the small one. Patience is a virtue, whatever that means. I can wait for points and hope for a better unit however I am looking for the unit with lots of deer and potential for gnarly big buck. I get it, Genearl tags turn up deer that I am looking for but I have 7 years of points invested. I want to burn them wisely and then get into the General game.