Cartridge extraction

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
First off I appreciate everyone taking time to read and comment with some suggestions, thank you everyone!

I colored each shell and they both come out with basically identical markings.
One line on the bullet itself from the tip just about to the brass, then a little lower a straight line mark along the neck of the brass. This appears on both sides of the bullet on each manufacturer's bullet.
Pictures attached, bullet facing right is Winchester, bullet facing down is Remington.

I have not oiled the brass and that's actually a really good simple idea to try.

I've got a second box of winchesters, but they're the same run numbers, so I guess I'll need to pick up another box if oiling the brass doesn't work.

Anyone else sees something on the pictures or has other ideas let me know.
Thanks again!

Attachments

troybackman

Apr 17, 2015
Mn
That line is more than likely just from plunger on the ejector pushing your bullet against your action before it gets to the ejection port. That's totally normal. I guess you can check that potential problem off the list.

Reactions: go_deep

graybird

Feb 22, 2011
Colorado
Sounds like over pressure to me. I had the same happen to me a few years ago with some Nosler ammo in a 300 Win Mag with 190 gr LRAB.

If possible, can you take a few close up pictures of the fired primers. Need to be in focus and as close as possible.

troybackman

Apr 17, 2015
Mn
Have you tried a completely cold bore shot? And does it still do it then? I've seen guns that will get hard bolt lifts after a few shots when everything warms up. If that's the case and it's a huntin rig, I'd definitely not be afraid to just hunt with it. Also I'd be careful with lube on case or at least clean your chamber real good after shooting. Lube left in chamber or on cases could be a dust magnet and cause more problems.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
Right ones are Winchester, left Remington.

First time I've shot the Winchesters and the barrel was warm when we shot them, so I'll have to try them cold next time we go out.
Went back to the Remingtons with a warm barrel after this happen with the Winchesters and there was no issue using them.

At this moment my son is going to use it for antelope and deer this year. I guess worse case we just go back to the Remington rounds.

Attachments

troybackman

Apr 17, 2015
Mn
Definately more flattened and ejector marks but not horrible. My guess is if you shoot it cold it wont be an issue for first round or two.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I wouldn't lube up the cases. You already know that there is excessive pressure with the Winchester ones and lubing them up won't help any and actually may increase pressure.

troybackman

Apr 17, 2015
Mn
before you stick any money into it, have you ever considered just upgrading your barrel? That would be a easy switch to a 6.5 creed too if you wanted a caliber change. the 6.5s are pretty sweet. i would do it for you at cost to help a fellow forum member out if you want to go that route. a criterion or shilen would only run you around $350 and are a far superior barrel to factory.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
before you stick any money into it, have you ever considered just upgrading your barrel? That would be a easy switch to a 6.5 creed too if you wanted a caliber change. the 6.5s are pretty sweet. i would do it for you at cost to help a fellow forum member out if you want to go that route. a criterion or shilen would only run you around $350 and are a far superior barrel to factory.
Appreciate the offer, but it's my son's grandma's gun that she first hunted with 40ish years ago, I wouldn't want to change anything major on it. If I can't get it going the right direction without a lot of effort I'll probably look into just buying him his own rifle.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
I think I finally figured out what's going on. If you look at the picture the neck doesn't start on the Winchester for like a half a Milimeter farther up the case, which is causing the causing the tight fit. When I chamber a live round I can notice it takes just a little bit more to close the bolt on the Winchester rounds. I figured it out because I was running the rounds in and out multiple times and noticed the sharpie was rubbing off around the neck on the Winchester.
Winchester on the right, Remington left in the picture.

Attachments

memtb

In looking at your primer photos.....I’ve observed far “flatter” primers with some factory ammo. Some primers have thinner or softer primer cups than other brands, which would show more flattening.....Winchester’s are noted to be rather soft. Unless, your “bolt lift” is quite difficult, if it we’re me, I’d use them without concern. But.....I have “kicked a sleeping dog or two”! ;) memtb

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
In looking at your primer photos.....I’ve observed far “flatter” primers with some factory ammo. Some primers have thinner or softer primer cups than other brands, which would show more flattening.....Winchester’s are noted to be rather soft. Unless, your “bolt lift” is quite difficult, if it we’re me, I’d use them without concern. But.....I have “kicked a sleeping dog or two”! ;) memtb
At this point in agreeing with you. Goal was not to over gun him the first year or 2 being he's a little on the small side, then at 14ish years old buy something that'll fit him for life.

I'm planning on doing at least 3 more trips to the range before season, so I got some time to play around with it.

Thanks everyone!

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Just remember...everything (the receiver, bolt, barrel, chamber and ammo) is built with tolerances to the nominal dimensions. Build up of these +/- tolerances can result in things being on the small or large side and still be within design specifications.

Looks like you should just shoot it and have some fun instead of worrying about something wrong with gun or ammo.
Just sayin..........................

Last edited:

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
As Scott said, excellent post; not much I can add to the good feedback already given. RE: the primer photos, the Winnys def show they went thru a more lively firing event; the shadow from the lighting indicates a deeper pin impact print from the primer being thrown back into the pin, and the subsequent lighter colored imprint ring on the surface of the primer is also wider. Hard to say if the increased pressure is too high, but the primers aren't looking awful either. Maybe worth chrono'ing the loads to get another data point? Maybe the Winny factory primers are hotter? Granted, I was manually reloading-not factory ammo but I had to gear down in primers on a couple loads to get them to behave in my gun. I guess if I convinced myself it wasn't a safety issue (chrono the load and compare to published velocities for similar ammo) and they shot well, I'd go with it?