Canadian Border Crossing

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
There seems to be an ebb and flow as to what they are most concerned about at the border. Remember to have the vehicle insurance information and cab card available, as they can stop you from crossing if you don't have them if you are asked. We once crossed at 4:00am, primarily to beat the lines at the border for opening fishing season. That was a mistake, because the Canadian customs/border guys were bored and spent 1 1/2 hours doing everything but strip searching us. This was for a group that does this 3-4 times a year for going on 30 years, so it's not like we raised any red flags.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I found that crossing into Canada is a piece of cake unless you get that one person that wants to check everything. You just never know which one you are going to get.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
There seems to be an ebb and flow as to what they are most concerned about at the border. Remember to have the vehicle insurance information and cab card available, as they can stop you from crossing if you don't have them if you are asked. We once crossed at 4:00am, primarily to beat the lines at the border for opening fishing season. That was a mistake, because the Canadian customs/border guys were bored and spent 1 1/2 hours doing everything but strip searching us. This was for a group that does this 3-4 times a year for going on 30 years, so it's not like we raised any red flags.
What is a cab card?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
Make sure you take some thermocells. I thought I knew what bad mosquitos were before I started fishing in canada. Headnet, gloves, full covering are necessary for a bear hunt.

First time i crossed the border was with my bro-in-law. He turns beet red when he gets nervous. As we approached the border agent, he was the color of a maraschino cherry. When the agent asked if we had any beer, bro-in-law said we had 30 cases (meant to say 2 30 packs). Needless to say we had to pull into one of the slots where the search for the mountain of beer was conducted.

hunter25

Very Active Member
Sep 8, 2016
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Good luck!
I really wanna do that but my son has an alcohol conviction from 6 years ago. I haven't looked into the details but it can keep you from crossing.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Thanks Hunter.
We will compare notes as Alaska is on my short list.
Getting close to border crossing. [emoji120]

Last edited:

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Made it through border crossing.
They are in no rush to get you back on road, but we are rolling again. [emoji106]

marcusvdk

Veteran member
Dec 13, 2011
Michigan
Also saw a moose in Ontario. About 3-4 hours north of Toronto.

Man really we drove so much in Ontario and never saw a moose. Really wanted to see one. How long was your wait. Any issues

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
No issues. Got thru and parked.
Showed guns and papers.
Then went inside and waited 30 minutes cause clerk must been at lunch.
Lotta traffic thru Toronto but manageable.
Just arrived at hotel in New Liskeard Ontario.
Back on road traveling to Quebec in AM.

JEandAsGuide

Dec 11, 2012
Zachary, LA
Good luck! Hope you have an awesome trip. Thanks for starting this thread. Answered a bunch of questions I had also

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Sat 5 hr tonight before being rained out.
No sightings yet but it is early. Today was cold damp day even before rain came.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Doesn't sound too bad. When I was up in British Colombia on my grizzly/black bear hunt it rained 8 out of 10 days. We lived in our rain gear.