Canada border crossing with firearms

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
I was just wondering what I have to look forward to when my wife and I drive into Canada with our trailer. What do I need to bring a couple of long guns and a shotgun across the border. What about a pistol, is that even allowed?

CrimsonArrow

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
No pistols allowed in Canada. Go on the Canadian customs website and complete the firearms declaration form. Or you can fill one out at the border. That, along with about $30 us will get up to 3 long guns legally across the border.

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
There are web sites you can check for the latest rules. Last time I crossed, hand guns were a no no, I was grilled pretty good and my entire rig was tore apart. They did a complete search, after first asking me if any weapons were in the PU. I said there may be a loose round or two of ammo rolling around, and several knives. All paperwork and the rifle were closely checked too. Time before that only the rifle and paperwork were checked. This is a case where you really want to be spot on.

ssliger

Very Active Member
Mar 9, 2011
Laramie WY
Go to your nearest customs agent and declare your firearms and anything else of real value (bino's, scopes and such). If you don't declare your valuables they could try and tax you on your way back to the U.S. Pistols are a no go. Each province has its own rules as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WY ME

Very Active Member
Feb 4, 2014
Wyoming
Guns are no problem. You just need to fill out the paperwork and pay the gringo tax. If you have any criminal record including DUI's, you'll have a problem. I've seen co-workers and strangers alike, turned around at border crossings and inside airports only to be sent back on the next airplane to the US because of past DUIs. I had one older co-worker denied a border crossing because his criminal past...a bar fight arrest from the 1960's. If your history is clean you should be alright.

WY ME

Very Active Member
Feb 4, 2014
Wyoming
I myself am going up to Alberta in May to look for a bear rug. This fall I'm going back for a whitetail.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
Just don't try to smuggle in any potatoes as they take that real seriously. Some of the border folks think you're a terrorist if they see an NRA sticker on your truck. I work summers in Canada, so I try to make it as smooth as possible.

WY ME

Very Active Member
Feb 4, 2014
Wyoming
Just don't try to smuggle in any potatoes as they take that real seriously. Some of the border folks think you're a terrorist if they see an NRA sticker on your truck. I work summers in Canada, so I try to make it as smooth as possible.
Can you bring a potato gun if you leave the ammunition behind?

Againstthewind

Very Active Member
Mar 25, 2014
Upton, WY
lol, I like that one WY ME. I haven't tried to go across since before you needed a passport. I got searched going both ways. It kindof sucked. Of course I had no real reason for going there other than to say I went to Canada. So it was a little suspicious, no NRA stickers at the time, lol.

Last edited:

CrimsonArrow

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
I've been into Canada at least 10 times the last 3 years and have never had a problem bringing potatoes. They've really relaxed the last few years. Same with dog food.

pmcgovern

Feb 11, 2014
Oregon
I have a friend that owns property in Alaska. He's in his late 60's. He drives up every year in late April and comes home in July. Been doing it for 30+ years. Last year, while going thru the check point, he was informed that he wouldn't be allowed in to Canada. He was told that a no contest plea, from a simple assault(bar fight when he was 23) that resulted in a fine and misdemeanor was on his record and he wouldn't be entering Canada. He come home very angry. My question is, if anyone knows, how can he do this for half his life with zero problems then out of the blue he's denied entry? Certainly his background has been checked many many times. I just don't get it. I was going to plan a trip up there to stay with him and fish, but it looks like that might not be happening. Any thoughts?

CrimsonArrow

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
Depends on the border officer, sounds like your buddy ran into one having a bad day. They have a lot of leeway on deciding which infractions are forgivable and which are not. As far as dog food, I haven't had an issue in about 5 years. Bring your own, the worst thing that can happen is they take it at the border and you buy some there at twice the cost.

luckynv

Aug 3, 2014
Henderson, Nv
I crossed a couple of years ago with a shotgun, had my form filled out prior to arriving at the border we were RV'ing. The border officer asked where I was going, into Banff and Canmore I replied. She told me I could not take the shotgun. I asked to speak with the supervisor and she came back about 20 minutes later to collect the fee and gave me the ok as her supervisor had told her several tourists were mauled by a Grizzly the previous week. Gun was never checked, truck and trailer never searched. ssliger is correct though to go to US Customs prior to crossing over and declare anything of great value and the hassle factor coming back into the US is greatly diminished. Also if you are traveling through to Alaska there is a process to bring handguns (the barrel length and magazine capicity is of great concern) across the border with you. If traveling through different provinces, take the time ahead and submit for the permission from each provincial border office. Our rights as we know them in the US disappear at the border. However jumping through their hoops is possible, but make sure to follow the extensive rules. We had more hassle coming back into the US with tomato's we forgot were in the fridge. Good luck and God bless

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Do you guys know if there is a master list of things that are prohibited? I mean really? Dog food and tomatoes. My former boss told me what a hassle he got when he came back from mexico with some eggs in his cooler, thats just crazy.

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
What I do each time is check both countries web sites, then call their Q&A line with any weird issues I may have. I called the CA and US folks about specifics and they were both very helpful. I'd be calling about the guns and 2x if I was considering a handgun. Did that last July when I bought a boat in CA. My passport was expired, I was allowed to cross to CA and come back with a birth certificate, drivers license and old expired passport. The rules about taking $ across the border, US EPA motor rules and US highway safety for the trailer were my weird stuff that time.