Can You Identify These Trout and What state They were Caught In?

dustin ray

Veteran member
Oct 23, 2011
Alta Loma CA
Yes with my grandfather i belive it was around Walker. A few years ago i was hunting in Nevada back country there was a stream feed by a spring that went 10 miles to the desert floor and desaperied the street was full little trout the resembled a paiute cutthroat but i believe they where lahontan cutthroat

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Here's the story behind these Piutes:

Right after WWII my family (Dad, Grandfather, Uncles) and some friends started hunting the backcountry in the central Sierras. They used a local packer to take their gear in and return a week later to pack them out. Always went in September hunting deer. We still use the same business today....over 70 years later.

The owner became great friends with our family and was elected to the Mono County Board of Supervisors. Fish & Game biologists asked him if he knew of a stream that could support fish, but was barren of trout. He told them to call my Dad. Dad suggested a spot and they (Dad & the biologists) hiked in and surveyed the spot. The biologists went in the next year with Piute fingerlings in containers hauled by mules and stocked the stream. It was in the 50's and the fish are still there.

It is so far from any trails, that few people know about it. The biologists goal was to establish a stream that could become a haven for the Piutes and keep their gene pool pristine. The fish in the photos I caught years ago when we were deer hunting. I shot a buck opening morning and decided to hike down into the canyon where the stream was and spend the day fishing. My Grandfather and I caught and released a bunch of them and kept enough for dinner.
Not too many people can check off Piute Cutthroats on their "trout caught" list.

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
I would've guessed Kern river Goldens as well; very cool post and story 'CC! While we only worked and lived in SoCal a short time in the mid 90s, my wife and I enjoyed trekking 'BK' (BK=before kids lol) in the Sierras and, closer to home then, the San Gabriels.

Sometimes I get so wound up with the day to day that I miss a great thread like this. Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: Colorado Cowboy

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
Beautiful fish! I caught Goldens when I was a kid down there, they're pretty too. They taste just like a rainbow!