Can I hunt every year in Nevada

plentycoupe

May 27, 2011
North Pole AK
Hello all,

I may have a new military position at the ROTC in Reno. I hunt as often as I can but I have not looked at Nevada as a prospective state.

I need a little help in understnading what you all have.

Are you able to hunt big game on a yearly basis, or is most of the state a draw system?

I am pretty much into any type of hunting from archery to BP to rifle. I do a lot of backpack hunting now and have great gear and optics.

I am just looking to see how the state runs their tags and what my chances would be of hunting this year should I move in August?

Thank you very much for any info you can provide

Jason

nvarcher

Very Active Member
Sep 28, 2011
Reno, Nevada
You're not going to hunt every year with a rifle. Even with a bow there are very few options to be every year. There are no OTC tags. All draw.

H3Dad

Aug 12, 2011
Los Molinos Ca.
There are a couple of deer hunts in California you can draw every year if you want to make sure you are hunting this year.These units are only an 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours from Reno. The hunting isn't what it is in the other western states but it better than no tags at all. There is still opportunity for good hunt but these are basically meat hunts.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
There is no guaranty you will draw tags for any weapon in Nv. The entire state is draw only. Look in the regs and find the best draw odds and go for it. Probably around the Elko area. There is Ca tags available over the counter that is 45 min from Reno which are D tags. Also bear for Ca is over the counter that you can hunt anywhere in Ca 10min from Reno. Good luck