Camouflage???

firebeck

Very Active Member
Sep 5, 2012
Southwest Idaho
So I'm thinking a lot about getting started waterfowl hunting. I've got tons of opportunities right out my front door and haven't got into it even though a lot of my friends do hunt waterfowl. I was wondering about camo. I understand that hunting on and near water is different than in the backcountry so does the clothing need to be different? I don't have the money to purchase a complete set of Sitka Marsh camo before next fall. Will say Kuiu or First lite and one of there patterns work for waterfowl? I've bought a little Sitka Optifade camo but don't feel camo is needed for rifle hunting big game. So should a guy buy strictly waterfowl camo or buy big game camo and use it for types of hunting? Or how important is strictly using waterfowl camo when hunting waterfowl? I tried on some Cabelas brand Shadow Grass camo but couldn't move. To used of mountain cut clothing. I'm thinking mainly of Sitka, Kuiu, First lite, or Kryptek. Hope this all makes sense. Thanks

NDguy

Aug 12, 2016
I would never spend that kind of money in waterfowl clothes but that's just me. Drake, Browning, Banded, Gander Mtn, Cabelas, Scheels all would have more cost effective options. If you are hunting out of a blind tho it won't matter much what you are wearing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

firebeck

Very Active Member
Sep 5, 2012
Southwest Idaho
I would never spend that kind of money in waterfowl clothes but that's just me. Drake, Browning, Banded, Gander Mtn, Cabelas, Scheels all would have more cost effective options. If you are hunting out of a blind tho it won't matter much what you are wearing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't want to spend a pile of money on camo. I guess my question is more if I already own Sitka optifade or Kuiu or any other mountain camo is that good enough to get started with? I think camo can be overrated. I buy these brands for backcountry because of the quality and quiet not for the camo. Or am I overthinking it to much? I'm more trying to see if I can kill 2 birds with one stone if that makes sense. If I'm going to buy camo should I buy one camo that fits for waterfowl and big game? Thanks.

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
you know, this was my first year taking waterfowl hunting seriously. 1 thing I learned is that those birds can spot you long before they decide to circle back and land. the further into the season it got the more this rings true. I had no blind, was just using willows as cover. I used my cold weather nice higher end gear and then went to wallmart and bought a dirt cheap camo shirt 2 sizes to big that matched the tall grass that was amongst the willows I was in. made all the difference in the world. use what you have and buy a cheap overtop.

firebeck

Very Active Member
Sep 5, 2012
Southwest Idaho
you know, this was my first year taking waterfowl hunting seriously. 1 thing I learned is that those birds can spot you long before they decide to circle back and land. the further into the season it got the more this rings true. I had no blind, was just using willows as cover. I used my cold weather nice higher end gear and then went to wallmart and bought a dirt cheap camo shirt 2 sizes to big that matched the tall grass that was amongst the willows I was in. made all the difference in the world. use what you have and buy a cheap overtop.
This makes sense. I had that thought also that a cheap cover up or ghillie suit or work.

NDguy

Aug 12, 2016
I would do ivorytip's suggestion, or buy a ground blind and hunt fields. You can wear zebra striped zubas and a pink top, wouldn't matter since you are concealed! If you are hunting in weeds, sloughs, definitely buy some type of clothes that match the surroundings. I am a fan of Blades & Max4/5 camo.

MOhunter28

Dec 30, 2015
Branson, Missouri
Go for Drake or Cabelas gear in wetland colors. MossyOak Duck Blind pattern is really awesome. Its not super yellow like your typical waterfowl color. Seems it has more browns and greys in it. I got a Columbia jacket that has an unusual pattern but it seems to work. This coat is super heavey and I use it when the temperatures really drop and has been an amazing jacket.

dugin

Aug 15, 2017
Drake makes some great gear but as said above, if you already have stock in a different pattern just get you something cheaper that you can wear over your existing gear with the right pattern.