California No lead Turkey shells

win264

Feb 17, 2014
I'm looking for a 12 ga 2 3/4" shells Non Toxic for spring turkey season in Calif. What would you suggest.....besides hunting in another state. LOL

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Whatever one patterns best in your shotgun. Any round that will kill geese will kill a turkey. Just take it out and pattern it at 20-40 yards.

swampokie

Veteran member
Jul 29, 2013
Haworth Oklahoma
I think it would be well worth investing in hevi-13 shotshells. not only will you be in compliance but they will add up to 20 yards to your distance. Expensive yes but they should be right at home in California.

chiefgobbler

Jun 26, 2011
Central California
A little harder to find 2 3/4 inch loads but Midway USA does carry Hevi 13 in 2 3/4 inch. In my experience high velocity creates better kills and it is harder to find in hevi shot loads. I had to buy a new barrel for my turkey gun because of this change. My other barrel had been cut down and had a forcing cone and choke installed. The gun shop who did the work advised not to shoot hevi shot or steel through it. Be careful to read the specs closely as Hevi-Shot does have some shells that are lead (i.e. Triple Beard). Rio does make Bismuth shells that would be legal but I have no experience with them.

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
My buddy shoots Federal Mag shoks, they flat wreck birds. It's a real dense pellet, so you can drop down a size or two.
I plan on shooting a bird or two with my old A5 this spring, and that gun only takes 2 3/4 loads. I think some of those #7 mag shoks would put a ton of pellets on target!